Downstream Analytical Research Associate, Enzymes
Are you ready to join our mission to enhance protein optimization and production? Do you have a passion for applying innovative technology to create novel products? Come be part of the Codexis, Inc team where every day we get to unlock the power of proteins®!
Since 2002, Codexis’ scientists and bioinformatics experts have worked collaboratively with our clients to do just that, enabling breakthrough developments for applications across multiple industries! As Codexis expands its footprint we are in constant need to find new ways to diversify applications of our CodeEvolverTM protein engineering platform.
But we can’t do it without YOU!
To help us meet our goals we are looking to hire a Research Associate/Associate Scientist to join our Bioprocess Development team as a specialist to support downstream operations and analytical/biochemical characterization activities during DSP process development. In this position you will play a key role in generating critical analytical data to enable development of robust processes for enzyme purification and scale-up. You will perform sample characterization using relevant biological assays in collaboration with scientists within the process development and various other departments, particularly the Analytical Development group, in a cross-functional project team settings.
If any of the below describes you, we would love to meet you!
- Are you excited by the idea of harnessing the power of proteins to improve the health of this planet and its inhabitants?
- Would you enjoy being a member of a team developing manufacturing processes for novel enzymes that are used as therapeutics, diagnostics and other applications?
- Are you driven by scientific curiosity and devoted to continuous learning in a collaborative and supportive team environment?
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Analytical biochemistry, using diverse techniques including enzyme activity assays, capillary electrophoreses, SDS-PAGE, SEC-HPLC, endotoxin quantitation, host cell-DNA (qPCR), host cell protein (ELISA), and others as necessary.
- Characterization of the physicochemical properties of newly evolved enzymes such as pI, molecular size, pH and temperature stability to provide relevant information for purification development.
- Troubleshooting and adapting research methods for monitoring yield, activity, and purity at various stages of the process development and manufacturing process.
- Authoring SOPs of analytical methods which are used for process characterization.
- Creating and maintaining various data and sample logs. Archiving process samples and maintaining analytical instruments.
- Effective communication of results in project team meetings.
To be successful in this role, your background and experience should include:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry, Biological Science, or related discipline, with 5+ years industry (preferred) experience analyzing enzymes or master’s degree in Biochemistry, Biological Science, or related discipline, with 2+ years industry experience analyzing enzymes.
- Hands-on experience with enzyme activity assays.
- Sound understanding of protein and nucleic acid biochemistry.
- Ability to multi-task and remain flexible with changing needs.
- Must be motivated and able to work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills. Ability to write reports and SOPs.
- The ideal candidate will possess a high level of independence, while being able to seek out others in a collaborative spirit to achieve team goals and further the corporate mission.
What can Codexis offer you? (besides an amazing and collaborative culture?)
- Full benefits on day your first day
- 100% match on the first 4% of your 401k contribution
- Generous flex time off
- Fitness reimbursement
- Free fitness classes
- Back up child/dependent care
- Commuter vouchers
- Much more!
NO AGENCIES OR THIRD PARTIES
Codexis is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status.