DIRECTOR, IN VIVO PHARMACOLOGY (BRIS 1.105)
We are seeking to hire a highly capable and seasoned research leader to head Unity’s In Vivo Pharmacology group. This role will be a critical part of the Biology Leadership Team and will be responsible for executing critical in vivo studies to derive decision-driving data for multiple programs in ophthalmology and neurology. Enhancing the dynamics and technical capabilities of a diverse group of scientists and RAs will be also be an important component of this role. The utilization of carefully designed PK/PD/efficacy studies in relevant preclinical models, including molecular and biochemical endpoints, will be key to answering key scientific questions and driving success of the In Vivo Pharmacology group.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in drug discovery, including the characterization of disease-relevant pathways and pharmacological activity of novel molecules in preclinical disease models. This position will afford the successful individual an opportunity to discover and develop innovative drugs to modulate an emerging and exciting biological concept in diseases of aging and to translate our science into a pipeline of differentiated medicines. The ideal candidate should be highly motivated and creative with relevant industry experience ranging from target identification/validation, lead optimization, translational pharmacology, to IND submission. Experience/expertise in the ophthalmology or neurology research fields is a plus.
The head of In Vivo Pharmacology will be a committed mentor to all levels of staff and have experience managing and developing research associates and scientists. Responsibilities will include overseeing the in vivo strategy including the selection/development/validation of in vivo models that focus on understanding the pharmacodynamic activity of candidate molecules and the translation to disease-relevant efficacy. The duties of the job include maintaining a cohesive team, guiding optimal experimental design and execution, ensuring rigorous analysis and interpretation of data, regular presentations (verbal/written) of results and interpretations in Discovery meetings and in higher level company strategic governance meetings.REQUIREMENTS:
• Ph.D. with >10 years of post-graduate work (at least 6 years industry experience). Degree in Pharmacology, Physiology, Cancer Biology, Developmental Biology or a related field is essential.
• In-depth expertise with validation and execution of in vivo disease models with a preference for experience with in vivo models of ocular or neurological disease.
• Evidence of independent scientific ability and a track record of scientific accomplishments through publications, patents, and invited presentations.
• Experience with quantitative PCR and protein-based methods in tissue samples as well as immunohistochemistry.
• Ability to manage complexity and ambiguity in a highly matrixed work environment.
• Track record of managing, developing, and mentoring scientists and research associates.
• Creativity and the ability to lead and/or work within an interdisciplinary team in order to achieve technical and corporate milestones.
• Robust experimental design and troubleshooting skills, and excellent data analysis/mining/statistics capabilities.
• Experience leading and mentoring teams of research staff and supporting personal/ professional development of team members.
• Experience writing IND reports to support regulatory filings preferred.