Senior Scientist, Neuroscience Drug Discovery
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., one of the 2020 Best Places to Work in San Diego, is in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad. For more than 30 years, Ionis has been the leader in RNA-targeted therapy, pioneering new markets and changing standards of care with our novel antisense technology. Ionis currently has three marketed medicines – Spinraza, the standard of care for all forms of spinal muscular atrophy; Tegsedi, the first approved RNA-targeted therapy for polyneuropathy caused by hereditary ATTR (transthyretin) amyloidosis; and Waylivra, the only approved treatment for familial chylomicronemia syndrome (FCS). Ionis has a premier late-stage pipeline highlighted by our industry-leading neurological and cardiometabolic franchises. Scientific innovation began and continues at Ionis with the understanding that sick people depend on the success of the company. This belief drives Ionis’ vision of becoming one of the most successful biotechnology companies.
As the first company to fully harness the power of RNA technology for human therapeutics, Ionis’ platform continues to revolutionize drug discovery and transform lives for patients with unmet needs. Ionis’ medicines span multiple therapeutic areas, routes of administration and diverse patient populations, and Ionis innovation is driving meaningful progress for many of the most challenging health issues.
Ionis is building upon our innovative research and drug development excellence to provide greater value to patients. Based on the breadth and remarkable progress of our pipeline, Ionis is projecting to have a vast number of new transformational products on the market in the coming years. Ionis is well positioned financially to deliver on our strategic goals.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
SENIOR SCIENTIST, NEUROSCIENCE DRUG DISCOVERY
- Initiating and executing neuroscience drug discovery projects at all stages, including new target identification, preclinical target validation, and drug lead identification for clinical development, with a focus on glial biology and targets.
- Developing and implementing new assays, including imaging-based assays.
- Ph.D. in neuroscience or a closely related discipline
- > 2 years of postdoctoral or professional experience in an academic or industry research setting, with a proven track record of accomplishments, including publications in top tier scientific journals.
- Research experience in glial biology
- Experience and expertise in modern laboratory techniques, e.g. gene expression analysis using qRT-PCR and RNA sequencing. Specific experience in fluorescence microscopy and image analysis are especially desirable.
- Direct experience in animal models brain injury or neurodegenerative disease, including neuropathological analyses.
- Experience with small animal surgeries
- Have strong interpersonal skills including a proven track record of building and maintaining effective working relationships with teams and partners
- Have the ability to manage multiple assignments effectively in a quickly evolving environment
- Outstanding communication and team skills
- Self-starter who is highly motivated and not afraid to take risks
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Reference Requisition #IONIS02421
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE – PRINCIPALS ONLY
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is proud to be an EEO employer.