Senior Engineer, Technology II
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Conceive, design, engineer, and implement data, software, and technology solutions that solve significant scientific or business problems. Investigate, identify, and implement state-of-the-art technology platforms that drive productivity and efficiency gains in own function and throughout multiple business areas. Act as a lead engineer in his/her area of expertise and critically evaluate relevant technological advances and integrate this knowledge into new business technology solutions. Technology Engineers will be aligned to a specific area: Information, Software, Data, or Infrastructure. This position will be in the infrastructure side reporting into Network Engineering.
•Conceive, design, engineer, and implement software and technology solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
•Demonstrate high proficiency across a wide range of technologies and platforms related to software design and development, programming languages, data integration, data warehousing, data analysis and visualization tools, data storage, network connectivity, and virtualization/cloud environments.
•Demonstrate knowledge of the pharmaceutical and healthcare business, and utilize this knowledge in the rapid advancement of agile, impactful, and cost-effective solutions.
•Highly autonomous and productive in performing activities, requiring only minimal direction from or interaction with supervisor. Keeps key stakeholders informed through effective verbal and written communication.
•Matures and leverages relationships with affiliates, subsidiaries, vendors, and industry peers in accordance with AbbVie Values, Vendor Management Office, and Purchasing to further the mission, vision and goals of the organization.
•May mentor/supervise a team of one or more and guide and evaluate the performance of those individuals; is accountable for the effective performance of the team/individuals.
•Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding applicable corporate and divisional policies, including code of conduct, safety, GxP compliance, data security, and the software development lifecycle.
•Bachelor's Degree with 7 years experience; Master's Degree with 6 years experience; PhD with 2 years experience in the pharmaceutical industry preferred.
•Possess thorough theoretical and practical understanding of own discipline.
•Proven implementation of creative technology solutions that advanced the business.
•Excellent written and oral English communication skills.
• Design experience for large global scale enterprise WAN, LAN, WLAN, firewalls, and cloud communications for 10,000+ users
• Defines, plans and designs innovative enterprise Network infrastructure solutions
• Requires demonstrated ability to administer layer 3 and layer 2 switching, HSRP, EIGRP, BGP, port-channels, SIP, QoS and LAN/WAN standards
• Data center infrastructure implementation including Cisco 3-tier and spine-leaf designs
• Requires experience with highly complex routing scenarios and redundancy
• Requires SD-WAN experience from a design and engineering perspective, preferably Cisco/Viptela
• Possess a working understanding of cloud designs and architectures; prefer AWS and Azure
• Requires expertise in switching and routing configuration on Cisco platforms
• Requires experience with Wi-Fi design and implementation in an enterprise environment, with a preference of Cisco controllers and APs
• Requires experience with design and engineering of enterprise firewalls and perimeter security, including Palo Alto, Checkpoint, and native Azure/AWS capabilities
• Experience with F5 load balancing and Silverpeak WAN optimization preferred
• Experience with one or more network automation tools and/or programming languages
• Consistently deliver projects in a timely manner. Perform routine and complex tasks competently and independently and generate reliable and consistent results.
• Effectively organize and present project objectives and progress
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.