Research Associate / Sr. Research Associate
Do you want to rethink your impact, and are you passionate about working with microorganisms? Then you might be our new Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate in Microbe Analytics & Automation.
What if you could work for a cause, not just a company?
Novozymes is the global market leader in biological solutions. We help build better lives. Together with our customers, partners and the global community, we use our innovative thinking and passion for science to boost industries and make everyday products more sustainable for the good of the planet. As the world’s leading provider of industrial enzymes and microorganisms, our bio-innovation enables higher agricultural yields, low-temperature washing, energy-efficient production, renewable fuel and many, many other biological solutions that the world can benefit from today and in the future. We call it Rethink Tomorrow.
Join us as our new Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate, Microbe Analytics & Automation
Are you ready for a role that lets you use both your scientific and communication skills? Do you have a passion for microbes and laboratory automation and want to help in the development of microbial solutions for a more sustainable world? If so, you could be our next colleague in Microbe Analytics & Automation. As Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate, you will be responsible for designing, implementing, and executing automated methods in our Microbe Research laboratories, as well as ensuring that traceable data flows into our information systems and can be efficiently analyzed.
Welcome to Microbe Research, California
In Microbe Research, California we use classical industrial microbes and develop new ones to bring Biological Solutions to some of our customers' toughest problems in biofuels, agriculture, food & beverage, and beyond. We are connected to other global Microbe Research sites in Berlin, Research Triangle Park, and Copenhagen. This position will join the Microbe Analytics & Automation team, where we deploy technologies for building, testing & understanding the performance and health of our microbes at low, medium, and high throughputs.
In this role you’ll make an impact by:
- Develop & execute automated workflows to support sample preparations for omics work including proteomics, metabolomics, transcriptomics and DNA/RNA sequencing.
- Develop & execute automated strain construction, cultivation and assay protocols for high-throughput construction and screening of microbial libraries.
- Use laboratory data information systems such as Riffyn or Benchling to capture and track lab processes and experimental data
- Use and write methods for automated capture, processing, and analysis of laboratory datasets.
- Work within an agile team to design and conduct scientific experiments to support multiple research projects.
- Interpret experimental results and contribute to writing reports and presentations.
- Engage in troubleshooting, ideation and problem solving of automation & experimental challenges with teammates.
- Ensure timely delivery of results to internal or external customers.
To succeed in this position, you must have:
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in translating biology or chemistry into automated processes using liquid handlers and other laboratory automation (for example, strain construction, sample preparation, or assay protocols).
- Demonstrated proficiency developing scripts (Python, R, JMP or other) and processes for data capture, processing, and analysis of large datasets with statistical mindset.
- A detail-oriented and self-driven attitude to conduct hands-on experiments in the laboratory.
- A BS or MS degree in biological science, engineering, or chemistry. Position will be hired at level appropriate for experience.
Preferred Candidates will have proven examples of one or more of the following:
- Experience with developing automation methods and scripts for Hamilton, Beckman Coulter or Echo Acoustic Liquid handlers.
- Experience developing automated methods for NGS sequencing, proteomics or metabolomic workflows.
- Experience integrating robotics from multiple vendors into functioning processes, including scheduling software such as SAMI or Green Button Go.
- Experience in using data management & analysis software such as JMP, Tableau, Benchling, Riffyn or related.
- Experience with image analysis software such as ImageJ.
This job will be located at our site in Davis, CA.
Are you passionate about making a sustainable impact, and do you see yourself in this position? Then unlock your passion and apply today!
Application deadline: 11 June 2021
Novozymes is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, disability or veteran status.