Genlab Data Curator
The Genelab Data Curator provides the Genelab Project with data acquisition, curation and system operations support. This position will support the Data Processing team with data submissions, curation and metadata standardization, and will work with the user community and collaborators (within NASA, academia and industry) for Genelab User Experience enhancements. Responsible for supporting the space biology user community on metadata and dataset inquiries.
- Minimum of a BS/BE in bioinformatics, computational biology, biostatistics, molecular biology, biochemistry, bioengineering or related fields with 1-2 years’ experience.
- Familiarity with biocuration – populating, organizing, formatting metadata and data files for omics datasets;
- Familiarity with database organization (SQL, MongoDB)
- Familiarity with cellular regulatory mechanisms and biostatistical concepts
- Lab experience, ideally with some exposure to omics technology methods and common software tools (e.g. next-gen sequencing, mass spectrometry, microarray platforms)
- Experience with genomic data management and analysis
- Additional programming and web languages highly desirable (ORACLE/SQL, PERI, C++, Python, XML, PHP, Matlab, or other languages)
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills are essential.
- Must possess the ability to use the English language for reading and writing/producing written English work.
- Must possess good organizational and prioritizing skills.
- Must have the ability to work independently with minimal guidance while consistently exercising good judgment.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Status.
- Must be eligible for or have successfully completed a National Agency Check investigation for a “NASA Clearance” within the last ten (10) years.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Curation of space bioscience omics data generated by Genelab and collaborators;
- Collect, analyze and interpret information from peer-reviewed scientific journals and/or through direct submissions by applying specific scientific content knowledge. Curate data into the required format, verify for accuracy.
- Review complex, scientific submissions to the database for quality and relevancy; Curate information in the required formats. Review, research and resolve quality control reports findings. Generate data quality assessment reports
- Testing of the data and website to maintain quality. Research and ensure resolution of user inquiries such as content and website issues.
- Modify and execute data processing, analysis, publication, and federation pipelines
- Field inquiries from the Genelab data system user community
- Develop documentation and tutorials regarding effective use of the database for user community
- Maintain quality control and integrity of databases and query tools for data mining as part of a collaborative team based on technical content expertise in a scientific field, such as molecular biology.
- Other related assignments and duties, as required.
- Occasionally – Climbing, stooping, kneeling
- Often – Reaching, standing, sitting, walking, pushing, pulling, talking, hearing, seeing, fingering/grasping/feeling, typing/writing
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Normally works in an environmentally controlled area.
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD SUBMIT THEIR RESUMES WITH DESIRED SALARY REQUIREMENTS