R&D Tech II, Histology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
At AbbVie, Preclinical Safety (PCS) is responsible for all aspects of Toxicology, Pathology, and Comparative Medicine. The Department of Pathology in PCS at AbbVie has an opening for Associate Scientist I to conduct laboratory functions including histology and microscopy techniques (tissue processing, slide preparation, immunohistochemistry) and digital pathology.
- Consistently produce high quality histological slides
- Apply knowledge of chemical rationals for staining procedures
- Recognize variations in tissue specimens
- Establish and exercise proper quality control
- Analyze, interpret, and evaluate results at each tissue processing step to maintain quality control
- Completely follow established experimental protocols and assess results with supervision
- Recognize and report experimental variances
- Assist in whole slide scanning, digital image storage and management
- Apply basic scientific principles to research
- Learn and effectively implement new experimental protocols and/or techniques.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and optimize laboratory operations for efficient use of time, laboratory supplies and reagents, when appropriate
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials and GxP compliance.
- High School Diploma or equivalent education with minimum eight years’ post-graduate experience in a laboratory setting; Associates degree with minimum six years post-graduate experience in a laboratory setting; or a BS/BA with minimum four years post-graduate experience in a laboratory setting.
- BS in biology or chemistry
- Histotechnologist Certification (HT)
- 2 years of experience within a histology/pathology laboratory within a GLP pharmaceutical company, CRO, hospital or diagnostic company. Capable of developing immunohistochemical protocols.
- Immunohistochemistry (IHC) experience
- Applicable animal experience
- Digital Pathology experience, whole slide scanning, imaging and storage of data.
- Well organized
- Detailed oriented
- Ability to work and effectively communicate with a team environment.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.