VP, Chief Accountant
VP, Chief AccountantAllakos Inc. is a clinical-stage company developing therapeutic antibodies for inhibitory receptors on the surface of immune effector cells involved in allergic, inflammatory and proliferative diseases. Allakos is committed to developing innovative therapies that transform patients’ lives. We are looking for bright and talented individuals to join our team and share in our passion and commitment to improving the lives of patients.
Position Summary:As a senior member of the Allakos team, you will have a key leadership position within the company. You will be responsible for implementing, maintaining and evolving all aspects of our financial activities to ensure the accurate and timely reporting of our results. You will also be responsible for working proactively with business partners, external providers and the finance team to meet the evolving needs of our business through financial system, business process, internal control and people-related initiatives. We are seeking a hands-on leader with technical and operational accounting expertise as well as the ability to work effectively within all levels of the company. This role will report directly to our Chief Financial Officer.
- Lead all accounting, tax, reporting and internal controls activities as well as the assessment and adoption of new accounting/reporting standards.
- Develop working relationships and trust with key decision makers to ensure the needs of the business are properly (and proactively) supported.
- Provide direct supervision and leadership oversight of a 10-person (and growing) team.
- Streamline and manage month-end financial statement close process, including review of journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Lead quarterly reviews and year-end audits conducted by our external auditing firm.
- Guide financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with legal on the review of contractual agreements to ensure business terms are understood, financial terms are reasonable and the accounting treatment is understood.
- Participate or lead special projects and support various finance related duties as needed.
- Prepare regular updates for executives and the Audit Committee.
Qualifications and Expertise:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Minimum 15 years of relevant finance and accounting experience, minimum eight years of public accounting experience is preferred).
- CPA certification and Biotech industry experience is preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of U.S. GAAP, complex transaction accounting and of recent accounting/reporting trends.
- Prior roles in senior corporate and business unit controllership roles as well as financial planning is a plus.
- Hands-on leader with a successful record of building teams, processes and systems to meet the needs of a growing company.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced, fast growing company where adaptability is imperative.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills.
- Strong working knowledge of tax accounting, reporting and compliance matters.
- Successful track record of hiring, developing and retaining outstanding finance personnel.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, executive management and external agencies to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving and results.