Tax Senior Associate
Amgen's tax reporting group is part of a world class tax department that provides global tax planning, transfer pricing, tax reporting, and tax audit defense for the Company. The tax reporting group works closely with Finance, Accounting, and Treasury employees in Tampa and Amgen's Thousand Oaks headquarters to prepare Amgen's financial statement tax provision and its U.S. federal and state income tax returns.
At Amgen, our mission is simple: to serve patients. Our new Tampa Capability Center provides essential services that enable us to better pursue this mission. This state-of-the-art center serves as a base for finance, information systems, and human resources professionals to make a meaningful impact at one of the world's leading biotechnology companies.
The Sr. Associate will assist with the preparation of Amgen's U.S. federal tax return, state returns, business licenses, and annual reports, as needed. Third party service providers prepare the majority of these filings, and the Sr. Associate will help facilitate the data collection process and will be responsible for the tax calendar and the timely payment of Amgen's tax liabilities. The Sr. Associate will also work on special compliance projects.
The Sr. Associate will play a key role in Amgen's tax provision process and will be involved in the preparation of the domestic portions of Amgen's worldwide tax provision and associated SEC filings.
Although the Sr. Associate's focus will be on domestic income tax, the Sr. Associate must have had exposure to the U.S. taxation of international transactions, including transfer pricing rules and the international aspects of the recently enacted U.S. tax reform provisions. Amgen has a large international footprint and does business in over 75 countries. As a global biopharmaceutical company with over $20 billion in revenue, the Company's tax matters include high value intangibles, mergers and acquisitions, licensing transactions, complex manufacturing, financing transactions, and research and development activities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist with federal and state tax return data collection and return preparation
- Respond to notices from various tax authorities
- Assist with the preparation of portions of the tax provision and tax rate forecast
- Prepare tax account reconciliations
- Work with Amgen tax, finance, accounting and treasury staff to understand transactions and data that flow into or otherwise impact Amgen's tax provision and tax returns
Bachelor's degree and 2 years of tax experience
Associate's degree and 6 years of tax experience
High school diploma / GED and 8 years of tax experience
- 2 - 5 years of corporate or public accounting tax experience
- Experience with U.S. federal and state tax laws and regulations
- Strong computer skills
- Knowledge of SAP
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with OneSource Income Tax and OneSource Tax Provision software
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects
- Strong attention to details
- Self-starter with excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Strong analytical skills and ability to communicate issues in a clear and effective manner
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interface with groups inside and outside of tax
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.