Senior Scientist I, Alzheimer's Disease
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie’s Foundational Neuroscience Center (FNC) in Cambridge, MA is seeking a Senior Scientist with expertise and experience in cell biology and neurodegenerative diseases to join the Tau Biology team to develop therapeutics for Alzheimer’s disease. As a key member of that group, the Senior Scientist will characterize and validate biological targets and drug candidates interfering with tau propagation using in vitro and in vivo AD models.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Actively drive the selection and validation of novel targets for Alzheimer’s disease
- Validate novel targets using multiplexed, image-based primary and human iPSC-derived neuronal tau propagation assays
- Perform novel in-depth cell biology assays and collaborate with in vivo pharmacologists, medicinal chemists to advance targets
- Present research at internal and external meetings, and publish in peer-reviewed journals
- Work efficiently to meet deadlines, well with team members, and contribute to a healthy and fast-paced environment.
- Supervise and mentor direct reports
- Read and apply relevant scientific literature
- Excellent communication – both in writing and presenting results with direct report and team, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Neuroscience, Cell Biology, or Neuropharmacology, with 10+ (BS), 8+ (MS) or 0+ (PhD) years of experience.
- Pharma industry / Biotech experience highly desired.
- Expertise in human transcriptomics, proteomics studies, or neuroanatomy is preferred
- Proficiency with cell biology, microscopy methods, cellular assays for target validation and high throughput screening.
- Experience in target validation in neurodegenerative diseases studies
- Expertise in primary and human iPSC-derived neuronal culture
- Experience with super-resolution, high – content, high throughput using robotic-assisted imaging is a plus but not required.
- Comfortable using programs such as Microsoft, PowerPoint, Google Docs, Microsoft Excel
- Highly motivated, detailed oriented, curious of the science, and desire to learn to novel neuroscience techniques.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, independence, clear scientific writing & verbal communication skills and precise record keeping
- Strong organizational skills that facilitate planning, multitasking and working within timelines.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.