Associate Director, Assistant Controller
Essential Job Functions:
Support the Controllership function
- Support efforts to prepare and issue audited Avanir stand-alone financial statements and footnotes.
- Assists in month-end closing and reporting processes.
- Supports month-end financial statements, including P&L, balance sheet, and cash flow statements for reporting to Otsuka. Ensure accuracy of financial statements and supporting reports, reconciliations, and analyses; perform regular balance sheet reviews and detailed trend analysis.
- Review transactions, formulate accounting treatment, and develop necessary policies and procedures.
- Support accounting services, including General Ledger and Revenue accounting.
- Identify opportunities to streamline processes, automate interfaces, and ensure best use of our ERP and related systems to support the needs of the business.
- Review current Accounting and Finance related policies and procedures, recommend updates or new policies needed and support efforts to communicate/educate across the organization.
- Build strong working relationships with OAI and Otsuka affiliates’ counterparts and other leaders and key contacts; use these relationships to evaluate best practices and opportunities for continuous improvement across the function.
Primary liaison for external and internal audit function
- Act as technical accounting resource for the organization – keep abreast of new or changing accounting standards, their impact on Avanir and plan for implementation and required process changes or updates.
- Primary contact with auditors; ensure efficient audit engagements with timely support of processes and resolutions of any findings – this includes external auditors (both US and Japan-based), JSOX auditors and OAI Internal audit.
- Ensure integrity of the internal control environment by enforcing corporate policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with IFRS and JSOX controls standards, as well as any regulatory requirements.
Tax, Treasury, and Insurance
- Support/manage all tax-related activities. Act as primary contact for all 3rd party vendors.
- Produce timely and accurate cash flow forecasting and tracking, parent company borrowings and projections and support OAI Treasury operations.
- Support insurance-related activities including completion of the annual renewal application.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Requires 8+ years’ experience in accounting and finance, including significant experience leading and building effective Controllership organizations
- BA/BS degree (preferably in accounting of business degree)
- MBA or advanced Degree preferred
- CPA required (inactive license is acceptable)
- Big 4 public accounting and audit experience is highly desirable
- Recent financial leadership experience in a pharmaceutical company is a plus.
- Strong technical accounting skills; a thorough knowledge of IFRS and GAAP, with an emphasis on revenue recognition, gross-to-net rebate/discount accounting, contingent liability and clinical trial accounting
- Motivational leader who mentors and coaches team, identifies and supports development opportunities and creates a cohesive and positive working environment
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and interface with Executive Management.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with strong analytical and organizational abilities
- Financial systems experience; ability to apply best practices and re-engineer systems and processes
- Experience with transforming an accounting organization with the necessary skills, tools, and resources to be best in class
- Previous experience with JD Edwards ERP and Insight software Hubble a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft products (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
This position primarily works in an office environment. It requires the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and frequent walking. Daily use of a computer, phone, office equipment and other computing and digital devices is required. May be required to stand for extended periods when facilitating meetings or walking in the facilities. Some local travel may be necessary, so the ability to travel by plane, operate a motor vehicle and maintain a valid Driver’s license and/or effectively navigate public transportation is required. While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee must be able to read and respond to interoffice communications as well as effectively participate in meetings. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to lift up to 20 lbs., pull, push, carry, handle or feel. The employee is required to carry, handle items, reach with arms and hands, to stoop, kneel, or crouch; talk or hear. Mental demands may require prolonged concentration, reading comprehension, understanding and interpretation of concepts, ideas and philosophies. The physical demands of the position described herein are essential functions of the job and employees must be able to successfully perform these tasks for extended periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made for those individuals with real or perceived disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job described unless such accommodations would cause Avanir an undue burden.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job unless such accommodations would cause Avanir an undue burden. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving carts, mechanical equipment (copiers, computers, coffee machines) and vehicles. May be subject to smells and odors. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The passage of employees through the work area is average and normal.
As an equal opportunity employer, Avanir Pharmaceuticals is committed to providing all applicants and employees with equal access to employment opportunities, regardless of sex, race, age, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, pregnancy, religion, genetic information, sexual orientation transgender status, gender identity, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. All Avanir Pharmaceuticals employees, officers, principles, agents, and representatives are expressly prohibited from engaging in unlawful discrimination. Consistent with federal, state, and local requirements, Avanir Pharmaceuticals will reasonably accommodate any qualified individual with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to perform the essential functions or the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
Avanir Pharmaceuticals shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR-60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of protected veteran status or disability, and require affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.