Manager, Business Operations and Communications
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Manager, Business Operations and Communications will facilitate strategic planning, infrastructure, and delivery of communication for the Development Sciences organization. In partnership with functional and Business Operations leadership, create and deliver departmental communication strategies. Key to success will be the development and management of the Development Sciences SharePoint sites and other relevant communication platforms.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Business Operations, Development Sciences, this role will also support enterprise-wide strategic initiatives across the function. The successful candidate will bring an ability to influence and strategically manage linkages across the business as well as an understanding of the impact of business decisions to bring solutions and act as a strategic advisor to the Development Sciences organization.
- Manage processes for the development and permissioning of SharePoint communication platforms across Development Sciences.
- Will supervise up to 2 direct reports. Delegate tasks, provide feedback, and facilitate development as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with Sr Director Business Operations and VP Development Sciences in the creation and planning of comprehensive departmental communication strategies. Execute or oversee the execution of communications, ensuring timelines and outcomes are met.
- Directly support functional leadership with development, communication, and execution of strategic programs to advance and transform the business. Define the mission, strategic imperatives, and project measurables and ensure timelines and outcomes are met.
- Effectively frames complex issues for decision-makers and peers. Prepares effective management presentations for R&D leadership team. Draws upon knowledge of business processes, global regulations, and communication mechanisms to propose and design innovative improvements.
- Acts with demonstrated ability to analyze change management issues and opportunities, foster innovation and the development of creative mechanisms for solving business issues, and plan/oversee effective implementation of projects and/or initiatives.
- PhD or equivalent and typically 4+ years, MS or equivalent and typically 6+ years, or BS or equivalent and typically 8+ years postdoc/industry experience
- Prior project/program leadership experience is required
- Advanced degree in related scientific field preferred (e.g., MS or Ph.D. in Oncology, Chemistry, etc.).
- MBA or Project Management Institute (PMI) Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred
- 3+ years of experience in a pharmaceutical development environment and 6+ years pharmaceutical industry experience overall preferred
- Strong management skills with proven effective leadership abilities. Demonstrated ability to lead multi-divisional and multi-functional teams with global aspects.
- Exemplary communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong business acumen and effective negotiation skills
- Experience working in a complex and matrix environment
- Demonstrated ability to craft compelling business cases that prompt appropriate action
- Proven track record of developing and executing change management strategies or successful project planning and management of highly complex business and technology initiatives is preferred.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.