Vaxart is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing a range of oral recombinant vaccines based on its proprietary delivery platform. Vaxart vaccines are administered using convenient room temperature-stable tablets that can be stored and shipped without refrigeration and eliminate the risk of needle-stick injury.
Vaxart has demonstrated that its proprietary tablet vaccine delivery platform is suitable to deliver recombinant vaccines, positioning the company to develop oral versions of currently marketed vaccines and to design recombinant vaccines for new indications. Its development programs currently include tablet vaccines designed to protect against coronavirus, norovirus, seasonal influenza and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), as well as a therapeutic vaccine for human papillomavirus (HPV), Vaxart’s first immuno-oncology indication.
Our mission is the promotion of global health through the development of effective vaccines that can be administered by tablet rather than by injection, providing for the simple and efficient distribution and administration of safe vaccines in any setting.
We are looking for a Materials Manager to join our growing South San Francisco team!
* Please note that we cannot sponsor Visas at this time.
As a member of the Manufacturing team, the Materials Manager is responsible for building and maintaining raw material inventory and supply for the manufacturing of Drug Substance at Vaxart's manufacturing facility. The Materials Manager will be responsible for sourcing negotiating, inventory control, shipping and receiving of raw materials or samples. The Materials Manager will lead and manages day-day raw materials activities with a hands-on approach to all aspects of materials demands and existing inventories. The person in this role is expected to be the internal expert in the ordering and forecast of raw materials needs to meet production demands to meet accelerated COVID19 and other vaccine manufacturing production schedules. The Materials management lead will communicate in a timely manner any raw material issues, supply and/ or inventory constraints to manufacturing and technical operations management, to avoid or minimize any adverse impact to manufacturing production schedule.
- Purchase goods, raw materials, consumables, or services with specified cost, quality, and delivery targets.
- Support the purchasing function and other relevant departments and communicates any supply problems which may impact business operations to manufacturing management team.
- Manage all GMP supplies per SOP and electronic supplies software.
- Provide cost analysis on new and existing and review cost effectiveness activities.
- Prepares cost analysis reports and updates as required.
- Establishes and maintains good relationships with suppliers and vendors.
- Establishes, manages, and maintains raw material inventories.
- Proactively identifies potential material shortages and ensure that a professional and consistent approach is taken in relation to all supplier relationships.
- Source new vendors, raw materials, components, and suppliers.
- Contact suppliers to resolve price, quality, delivery, or invoice issues.
- Assess and evaluate suppliers and contribute to performance reviews to ensure contract compliance.
- Establish and maintain inventory control management for cGMP raw materials and associated components in accordance with agreed upon production plans to ensure their receipt (and release) in accordance with the manufacturing schedule.
- Interface with QC raw materials testing team to ensure on time release of raw materials for manufacturing.
- Lead the development of a materials supply plan corresponding to the drug substance manufacturing plan.
- Develop and implement or review and revise (as needed) processes and procedures within areas of responsibility, such as controlled-temperature shipping (raw materials), receipt and inventory management, etc.
- Manage/supervise daily logistics activities including shipping and receiving, general warehouse and materials movement within the manufacturing group.
- Identify and regularly report key performance indicators (such as productivity, adherence to schedule and cost controls) associated with materials management and the supply chain.
- Issues raw materials to manufacturing and other teams as needed.
- Work closely with Quality Assurance (QA) to release raw materials for manufacturing use.
- Work closely with Quality control Raw Materials (QCRM) to coordinate raw materials testing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Life-sciences or closely related field.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience within the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years supply chain, logistics and/or operations knowledge.
- Experience in shipping / warehouse operations including various DOT, IATA/ICAO and Dry Ice in Transit regulations.
- Experience with enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems.
- Demonstrated experience with temperature-controlled solutions, such as shipping for controlled ambient, 2-8°C, and -80°C.
- Direct experience with Regulatory Inspections is preferred but not required.
- Strong knowledge of GMP compliance and industry regulations.
- Ability to build and maintain effective and productive relationships with staff, stakeholders, and suppliers.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Ability to manage time effectively, prioritize tasks and achieve set targets.
- Ability to work well under pressure and stressful situations.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Good knowledge of purchasing, negotiation, and cost breakdown.
- Able to add value, reduce cost, and provide input on business improvements.
- Ability to safely lift 25 pounds.
Vaxart offers team members a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a bonus program, stock options, 401K with employer matching, tuition assistance, and work life balance.
Vaxart is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We are committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination. Vaxart does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation.