Senior Software Engineer, Data Platform
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.THE IMPACT YOU'LL MAKE
- Create a world-class data platform. You'll work with Biologists, Automation Scientists, and Data Scientists to create a platform that allows them to generate and access petabytes of data, gives them tools to quickly iterate on novel analysis, and deploy new deep learning models into the production data pipeline.
- Build, scale, and operate a streaming data pipeline. You'll be on a team responsible for moving, processing, and analyzing over 60 terabytes of data each week.
- Provide visibility into operations. You'll create tools, dashboards, and metrics to help lab operations keep track of the quality and timeliness of the data they generate, grant early insight into the quality of proposed experiments, and track the provenance of key drug development decisions.
- Act as a mentor, coach, and sponsor. You will share your technical knowledge and experiences, resulting in an increase in learning, growth, and impact within and beyond the team.
THE TEAM YOU'LL JOIN
The Data Platform team (known internally as the machine infrastructure team) currently comprises four software engineers. Our responsibilities are twofold. First, we operate and maintain the current data pipeline that receives, uploads, indexes, and processes the raw data into various aggregated or featurized forms for use downstream by other Engineers and Data Scientists. Second, we are iteratively turning the pipeline into a platform to enable and empower downstream Engineers and Data Scientists to define their own pipelines and data processing. Our infrastructure provides easy and flexible access to petabytes of data, events for triggering computation or tracking state, and automated visibility into the progress of their pipelines.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Experience programming in projects with significant ambiguity and technical complexity, ideally spanning multiple systems and involving diverse technologies.
- Experience being resourceful, collaborative, and flexible in order to complete large projects that deliver needed value. We don't have much in the way of project managers.
- Excitement to learn parts of our tech stack that you might not already know. Our current tech stack uses Python, Clojure, Kafka, PostgreSQL, Docker, and Kubernetes, and cloud services provided by Google Cloud Platform.
- A drive to deliver well tested and instrumented code that can be continuously deployed in small impactful chunks.
- Experience delivering in areas of performance, scalability, and system architecture.
- Biology background is not necessary.
The Benefits/Perks You'll Enjoy
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility*
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute*
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars*
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend*
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking*
- Subject to change for remote-based employees during the COVID-19 pandemic
More About Us
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science, and engineering, with the goal of radically improving the lives of patients and industrializing drug discovery. Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.