Senior Scientist, Translational Oncology
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
You will drive multiple discovery projects from launch to preclinical development and help our efforts to bring new therapeutics to patients. You will be at the forefront of developing new approaches that reimagine small molecule discovery using Recursion’s massive data capabilities.
- Discover and develop new strategies for leveraging Recursion’s unique capacity to perform >1 million experiments per week for oncology target ID, program nomination and ML-enabled biomarker development. You will integrate knowledge from human genetics, preclinical models, and DMPK principles to drive the development of novel medicines across all areas of oncology.
- Deliver multiple new therapeutic programs encompassing both immuno-oncology and precision medicine approaches into Recursion’s oncology pipeline at an accelerated pace. You’ll iterate quickly from ideation to validation on multiple projects.
- Synthesize preclinical and clinical data sets from the public domain towards accelerating insight- and program-generation from Recursion’s phenomics data. You’ll define the biological rationale and strategically assess areas of unmet need to advance our capabilities and answer critical questions.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Recursion’s in vivo pharmacology, data science, and HTS teams to initiate validation screens and further advance compounds from discovery through preclinical stages.
The Team You’ll Join
We are building an interdisciplinary modern oncology group centered on machine learning and inference-based discovery from first principles. The group is a bold and agile, collective of drug discovery and machine learning scientists deeply focused on the singular goal of bringing new cancer therapeutics to patients at an accelerated pace. You will lead project strategy and execution within a small group of project leaders, and collaborate extensively with data scientists, chemists, engineers and biologists throughout the organization and externally, to advance milestones and provide insights to further advance Recursion’s capabilities. Key attributes to this role include a bold, execution-oriented attitude and passion for deploying rigorous science to end cancer. You will report to SVP, Translational Medicine.
The Experience You’ll Need
Scientist, Translational Oncology
- Training in biological and translational sciences and completion of an advanced post-graduate degree (PhD preferred)
- Experience with design, execution and analysis of diverse molecular biology techniques (cell culture, gene expression and protein quantification technologies, etc.). Note: This role will not involve at-the-bench experiment execution.
- Familiarity with current animal models used in cancer drug discovery (PDX, CDX, GEMM, syngeneic)
- High-level understanding of small molecule drug discovery and pharmacology
- Capable of leading and prioritizing among multiple projects and efficiently advancing projects to proof of concept
- Bold, passionate, and highly collaborative growth mindset
Senior Scientist, Translational Oncology
- 3+ years applying professional competencies to fundamental problems of relevance to oncology drug discovery or experience in biopharma industry setting (domain specific experience in other areas of biology will be considered, as well)
- Experience with key DMPK principles for early stage drug discovery
- Experience managing external resources (CROs)
Principal Scientist, Translational Oncology
- 5+ years applying professional competencies to fundamental problems of relevance to oncology drug discovery specifically in a biopharma industry setting
- Demonstrable experience advancing therapeutics program from discovery to preclinical development
- Understanding of current state of oncology therapeutic development and ability to drive scientific strategy
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility*
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute*
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars*
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking*
*Subject to change for remote-based employees during the COVID-19 pandemic
More About Us
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science, and engineering, with the goal of radically improving the lives of patients and industrializing drug discovery. Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.