Sr. Mechanical Engineer - BodyContouring
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Sr. Mechanical Engineer works collaboratively with a team to design and develop medical products from initial concept through the transfer to production. The engineer has some technical leadership for designing and testing components and subassemblies of the overall system product. The job requires CAD skill knowledge, and it is preferred to have some knowledge of designing injection molded parts and machined metal components. The engineer should have knowledge of plastic, elastomer, and metal material types and be able to define the selection criteria and tradeoffs. Candidates should have experience with thermal or structural analysis as well as knowledge of basic statistical analysis methods. Prefer some knowledge in fluid based cooling systems, thermoelectric modules, and biocompatible material selection.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned.):
- Apply the principles of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing to all drawings of parts and assemblies.
- Conceive, design, build, and evaluate prototypes to explore a range of design concepts.
- Prepare, present, and document designs at reviews.
- Refine and develop selected concept(s) with guidance from manager, technical, and clinical leaders.
- Work closely with other departments and outside entities, e.g. suppliers and contract resources, to insure design and documentation conformance to all quality requirements.
- Investigate, evaluate and specify materials, adhesives, and assembly techniques.
- Select prototype suppliers, request quotes, prepare purchase requisitions. Provide recommendations for production suppliers.
- Create designs for ease of manufacture and assembly.
- Document designs and design changes within a medical device document control environment.
- Manage the simultaneous development of several parts for a product design. Coordinate design constraints and resolves any design conflicts with minimal managerial or lead engineer intervention.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent degree. Advanced degree desireable.
- 8 years min experience of product design or product development or equivalent experience; prefer ten years of experience
- Proficient with 3D CAD software design tools for creating solid models and drawings; such as CREO or SolidWorks.
- Familiar with software and methods for computer simulation of complex mechanical, fluid, and thermal models.
- Individual must be able to work under the general supervision of the manager or a technical project leader.
- Familiar with basic standard concepts and constraints involved in creating new medical product designs.
- Ability to set short term project goals and outline schedules for specific tasks.
- Individual must have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong team player with the demonstrated abilities and willingness to wear “multiple hats” and perform a wide range of tasks within a dynamic environment.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.