Principal / Senior Principal Scientist, Occupational Toxicology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Genetic, Environmental and Occupational Toxicology (GEO tox) is a diverse team of scientists with the goals of supporting patient, environmental and employee safety. The Occupational Toxicologist assesses toxicity data to generate risk documents that guide worker safety in laboratories, pilot plants and manufacturing facilities.
We are seeking an experienced risk assessor to join our team in Development Sciences, Pre-clinical Safety.
- Critically evaluate literature and toxicology reports/summaries and utilize tools such as read-across and in silico data to generate various risk evaluation documents to be implemented by EHS. These include: Occupational (Employee) Exposure Limits (O(E)ELs); Permissible Daily Exposure (PDE)/Residual Dose Limits (RDL) for multi-use equipment; Estimated Limit Summaries (ESTLs); and Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Present/support drafted assessments at monthly meeting of the AbbVie Drug Handling Committee (ADHC) interacting with the multi-functional team to align on safety banding for implementation throughout the company.
- Publish documents to internal database (ToxInfo) through WERCS software
- Guide Junior toxicologist to develop their skills to assess toxicology information to generate risk assessments.
- Support Genetic and Environmental toxicologists as needed.
- Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Toxicology, Industrial Hygiene, or related discipline with typically 16-18 (BS), 14-16 (MS), or 8-10 (PhD) years of relevant experience
- PhD in Toxicology or Industrial Hygiene preferred
- Proven record of successfully evaluating safety risks
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Occupational Exposure Banding, Performance-based exposure control limits or evaluating toxicity data for Safety Data Sheets.
- Calculating safe exposure levels using toxicity data and employing equations from ICH or RiskMAPP
- Mining Toxicity data in databases and literature
- Software such as WERCs or predictive tools for toxicity
*Job level will be commensurate with experience
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.