Senior Scientist, Global Protein Sciences
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Job Description: Senior Scientist I in Protein Engineering and Expression
The Global Protein Sciences (GPS) Group is seeking a Senior Scientist with strong scientific and leadership experience to join its Protein Engineering and Expression (PE&E) group. As an integral member of the PE&E team this individual will work collaboratively to drive the discovery and engineering of innovative biologic-based therapies to advance AbbVie Biologics pipeline. The candidate will be a highly motivated scientist with an established track record in biochemistry, molecular biology and cell biology. The successful candidate will be expected to work with other scientists in GPS, across functions and different therapeutic areas (Virology, Neurosciences, Immunology and Oncology) to discover and develop next generation biologics through interrogation and engineering of protein attributes. The candidate will need to have a proven ability to manage internal and external collaborations as well as excellent verbal and written skills and the ability to clearly present scientific concepts and results for scientific and non-scientific leaders.
- Work with a multi-disciplinary project team and use cellular and molecular biology tools to design and express recombinant protein for antibody discovery and assay development
- Hands-on bench work cloning and expression screening of recombinant proteins in a suitable host
- Resolve key project challenges by effectively using all available tools, information, and technical expertise
- Take initiative to develop and implement new technologies/methodologies to automate high throughput cloning and expression
- Demonstrate leadership by advising and sharing knowledge and expert opinions with peers and senior management
- Demonstrate leadership in managing collaboration with external academic labs and CROs
- Contribute to research that leads to peer-reviewed publications, reports, and external presentations
- PhD in Molecular/Cell biology/Biochemistry or related field with 0-3 years industry experience or master’s degree with 8+ years of experience
- Significant experience in research as proven by a track record of publications, meeting presentations, and independent scientific accomplishments
- Strong background in molecular biology including construct design and expression screening in different host systems is desired
- Prior experience in molecular modeling and working knowledge in recombinant antigen and bi-specific engineering is a plus
- Expertise in an Abbvie therapeutic area such as Virology Neurosciences, Immunology or Oncology)
- Self-motivated, hard-working, detail-oriented, resourceful, and able to work in a fast-paced team environment with demonstrated problem solving and perseverance skills
- High-quality written and oral communication skills and the ability to excel in a collaborative environment. Teaching experience a plus.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with proven ability to work within a team environment.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.