AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Project Accountant facilitates the correct accounting for AbbVie’s capital projects utilizing SAP Project Systems, and ensures assets are capitalized and depreciated timely. The project accountant must be knowledgeable of functional areas’ business operations as well as the policies that govern proper accounting treatment for expenditures. The Project Accountant’s expertise as to how SAP Project Systems interfaces with purchasing and accounting modules makes this role critical for the proper accounting over US based Fixed Assets and enables the accountant to provide a high level of customer service to Project Engineers and finance organizations. The Project Accountant works closely with Project Engineers (PE) from the initial project set-up in the SAP Project Systems, to asset capitalization and project closeout in SAP. The Project Accountant is part of the Finance Shared Service Organization and is the key liaison between the US Business Units and BPO.
- Project setup- Initial setup in Project Systems based on approved Request for Capital Expenditure (RCE), including appropriate budget levels, cost centers, and person(s) responsible. Ensure Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) levels are appropriate based on the scope of the RCE. Guide PE in the correct set up of complex projects that may span several entities.
- Analyze and maintain projects by solving errors in use of Shopping Carts, accounts, and expenditure categorization. Works with PE to ensure projects and sub-projects reflect the proper timeline for asset capitalization and project closure and works with PE’s to clear up pending transactions within SAP that prevent final closure of the project. Provides guidance as needed to non-Lake County sites.
- Analyze and Approve Shopping Carts by ensuring the cart is within scope of the project to which it is being recorded and it is not being routed on a date that is beyond the project’s forecasted completion date. Ensure correct WBS level is identified on shopping cart, and appropriate general ledger account is used to record expenditure. Analyzes shopping cart for unusual circumstances that may require additional approval or adjustment and track the assets that are being impacted by the shopping cart.
- Capitalization of assets- Complete the Asset Information Form (AIF) and capitalize fixed assets in SAP, and reconcile asset spending to purchase orders and project. Reviews PO to ensure all assets are captured on AIF, follows up with project management to ensure that assets are capitalized on a timely basis, and assigns asset tags to individual assets.
- Professional Engagement with Business Unit and Finance personnel throughout project lifecycle.
- Professional Engagement with BPO for processing initial project setup, project maintenance, asset transfers, asset retirements, and timely resolution of project issues in order to meet customer expectations from the various US business units.
- Accounting responsibilities – the Project Accountant will provide support to various functions, via one or more of the following annual or ongoing Fixed Asset analyses/responsibilities: Fixed Asset physical verification coordination, Capital Expenditure report for government filing, Fixed Asset roll forward by entity for Tax reporting, Fixed Asset by location reporting for Tax reporting, Monitoring and analyzing Manual Depreciation activity.
- Bachelor’s degree and / or 2 to 3 years relevant work experience in accounting, finance, or systems.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.