The Research Assistant/Associate works under the direction of a senior level scientist supporting Ligand’s OmniAb Technology Platform with responsibilities in multiple research areas including: generating and characterizing new strains of OmniChickens; conducting OmniAb antibody discovery campaigns for internal and partner programs; preparing custom protein reagents for immunization and screening; antibody engineering and optimization of lead molecules for further development.
The OmniAb group at Ligand consists of dynamic and innovative scientists that employ a variety of novel platforms to support our partners in discovering the best antibodies possible for their therapeutic applications. At the core of OmniAb is the ability to engineer animals to generate affinity matured human sequence antibodies for use in conventional and novel formats. We leverage our proprietary animals with state-of-the-art technology in antigen design, immunization methods and high-throughput single B cell screening to facilitate discovery of best-in-class antibodies. We are looking for accomplished team players who are enthusiastic to contribute to the technological frontier of antibody discovery, and passionate in their desire to collaborate with partners to develop next generation therapeutics. See OmniAb.com for more details about the exciting science being performed at Ligand.
This is an unique opportunity to gain exposure to many aspects of antibody discovery. We strongly urge candidates whose future plans might include graduate school, to apply.
Essentials for Working at Ligand • Ligand is a dynamic, fast-paced organization committed to creating shareholder value and addressing unmet medical needs through developing and acquiring cutting-edge, royalty-bearing technologies and establishing research collaborations that make major life-saving global drugs possible. To be successful at Ligand, employees must be innovative, efficient, versatile, self-starters who take great pride in their work and want to contribute to something significant.
Essential Role Responsibilities
Depending on the research area, the tasks you will be performing are:
- Conduct PCR, molecular cloning and site-directed mutagenesis
- Perform transfections and propagate mammalian tissue culture cell lines
- Maintain an accurate electronic lab notebook and present data at group meetings
- Prepare experimental data reports for partner and internal antibody discovery programs
Non-essential Role Responsibilities Include
- Support and participate in scientific conferences
- Back-up to support other programs
- Other duties as required
Experience and skills
- B.Sc. 0-2 years experience
- Experience in one of the following areas: primary cell culture (ES and IPS cells), molecular biology, immunology, structural biology and biochemistry.
- Well-developed communication, record keeping, organizational skills, and the ability to work in a team environment
- The company offers competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, Short/Long term disability and life insurance, as well as 401(k) match, Stock Options, Bonus, and paid time leave
- All new hires are required to go through a background and reference check
- Ligand is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets employer
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
- Ligand celebrates the diversity of life and welcomes all individuals to apply