Director R&D Digital & Data Strategy
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Director will help define Convergence data integration strategies and advance functional/therapeutic area priorities while maintaining alignment with the overarching R&D Convergence data integration framework and priorities. He/she will act as a key member of the R&D Convergence (Data Integration) Core team responsible for defining and executing the R&D Convergence strategy, and represent functional/therapeutic area in cross-functional R&D discussions and decision-making forums related to Convergence data integration. The Director will collaborate with scientists, clinicians, and data scientists within functional/therapeutic area and across R&D to identify and lead projects involving the aggregation and analysis of large data sets to identify key trends and insights that advance scientific understanding. He/she will ensure that projects create a substantial return on investment and a meaningful impact on advancement of the AbbVie pipeline of new medicines and/key functional/therapeutic area or R&D priorities.
- Influence applicable functional leadership, strategies, and investments in alignment with the R&D Convergence data integration vision.
- Translate functional/therapeutic area business challenges and scientific questions into hypotheses that can be tested using data analytics to drive new learning
- Partner with R&D Computational Scientists, Data Scientists, and technology teams to advance complex and/or highly novel use-cases with cross-functional dependencies
- Identify opportunities and solutions to unleash the full value of Convergence data integration within functional/therapeutic area at an accelerated pace
- Lead matrix teams including scientists, data scientists and MD’s at all levels of the technical and medical career ladders
- Lead Convergence data integration projects within functional/therapeutic area, allocate resources, manage the budget, and ensure appropriate area expertise
- Act as a conduit between the R&D Convergence Core Team and subject matter experts and data scientists within functional/therapeutic area to transfer innovation, knowledge, best practices, and lessons learned
- An active member of the community of R&D Convergence Directors across other R&D functions and enable cross-pollination of ideas for broader R&D implementation
- Act as a consultant within the assigned functional/therapeutic area to help identify where Convergence data integrations and analytics approaches can help answer questions
- Influence the talent strategy within the assigned function/therapeutic area to continually enhance the digital skills and acumen of scientists and leaders to align with the Convergence data integration strategy
- Ph.D. or equivalent with approximately 12 or more years of industry experience; at least 6 years of experience enabling data analytics and insights
- Multi-faceted, broad-based experience in multiple R&D functions and data domains (e.g., preclinical, genomic, clinical, safety, regulatory, real world data, etc.). Considered to have in depth knowledge of drug discovery and development
- Demonstrated excellence and success in leading one or more multidisciplinary data integration and analytic programs to major milestones or insights
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills and proven ability to collaborate across multi-disciplinary teams and leading and navigating in a matrix organization
- Ability to understand the external environment and business needs and translate to workable solutions
- Good facilitator – can drive collaborative discussions, gather feedback, and provide follow-up on how to incorporate into solution design/delivery
- Strategic thinker - can see big picture opportunities and translate into actionable plans
- Highly motivated change agent that can push against the status quo and seed new ideas, new ways of thinking, and new ways of working
- Robust understanding of the data analytics value chain from data to decision
- Proven experience with successfully enabling new digital or data science capabilities that are beyond incremental extensions of the current capabilities
- Advanced knowledge of machine learning techniques, predictive modeling, statistical methodologies, and visual analytics
- Experience with “big data” technologies such as Hadoop, Cloud Computing, and related technologies
- Effective collaboration, influencing and communication skills.
Data integration Directors from other R&D functions; Convergence Steering Team, VPs/senior leaders from R&D functions and other internal AbbVie collaborators such as legal and HEOR; Matrix team influence including scientists and MD's at all levels
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.