AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
This individual will be responsible for implementation and maintenance of environmental, health and safety (EHS) programs as assigned by EHS management and in response to existing and established federal, state, local and company regulations that are in place to reduce AbbVie’s liability and/or impact on the community.
- Provides general support to EHS staff on programs and other EHS initiatives as delegated by the EHS manager, such as but not limited to coordinating laboratory clean outs, recycling initiatives, conducting PPE assessments, maintaining PPE inventory and entering EHS data/metrics into AbbVie EHS reporting systems.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable local regulations and requirements, internal R&D policies/procedures, AbbVie Engineering Standards and Global EHS Technical Standards
- Assures that assigned EHS policies, programs, training, and procedures are developed/updated and implemented.
- Conducts EHS inspections of work areas and assists with tracking and implementing corrective / preventive actions.
- Assists with overseeing hazardous and medical waste disposal process performed by the third-party waste vendor and manages the certification of hazardous waste manifests for the site.
- Assists EHS team with overseeing compliance with transportation safety requirements applicable to site shipping/receiving/waste disposal activities.
Years of experience/education and/or certifications required:
- High school diploma required or equivalent and understanding of applied environment, health, and safety theory and hands-on work experience in the pharmaceutical industry, especially in a research and development work environment.
- 0-2 years’ experience in technical operation of some general aspects of an environmental, health and safety program
- General understanding of regulatory requirements for environmental, health and safety
- Knowledge and work experience with management of hazardous waste and medical waste preferred.
- Knowledge and work experience in management of hazardous materials or dangerous goods preferred.
Desired Professional Skills:
- High level data interpretation and independent problem resolution
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must have strong interpersonal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively interact with all levels of the organization.
- Must have the ability to solve a wide range of problems with support from EH&S professional staff on complex issues.
- Must be proficient in MS Office products
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.