Reporting to the Corporate Controller, the Director, Accounting is “hands-on” with direct responsibility for a staff of 2 managers and their teams and for Arcus’ accounting operations, research and development accounting, financial close process, and SOX responsibilities. This position will work with the finance and external teams (auditors, SOX, and tax consultants), R&D Operations, external Clinical Research Organizations vendors and various business partners to meet accounting and finance objectives and will be responsible for execution and review of core accounting functions. The Director, Accounting will work closely with the Corporate Controller and VP, Finance, as well as the FP&A team, to lead the accounting in a rapidly growing and critical area of Arcus’ operations. This position offers a high degree of visibility to the CFO, provides deep insights to Arcus’ R&D pipeline/strategic plans, and requires building strong relationships with the R&D Operations teams.
- Maintenance and improvement of processes to support the Company’s accounting and reporting related to R&D costs primarily focusing on accruals for clinical trial and manufacturing expenses, including communicating with business partners (internal and external) for preparation and review of journal entries, reconciliations, audit support, and SOX PBC schedules
- Lead monthly meetings with senior clinical and manufacturing management to provide project status updates and obtain validation efforts incurred, cost drivers and key assumptions around R&D accruals.
- Identify, optimize and automate accounting processes and drive efficient and streamlined close process
- Work with internal auditors on designing, implementing, and enhancing internal controls for efficiency and effectiveness, resolving SOX issues and preparation of walkthroughs for relevant processes.
- Serve as key liaison with external auditors in areas of responsibility for coordination of audit procedures, delivery of audit schedules (PBCs), and resolution of auditor inquiries/potential audit issues.
- Support annual and quarterly audit preparation activities including SEC filings (10-Q, 10-K, 8-K, Proxy) and assist with disclosures as needed
- Assist in the compilation of information for the Company’s tax provision and annual tax returns.
- Coach, manage and develop their staff to meet goals and deliver strong support to business partners
- Bachelor’s degree required; CPA preferred
- 8+ years’ experience in accounting operations with 3+ years’ experience in auditing required
- Experience in Life Science industry preferred, with clinical trial accrual experience a plus
- Strong experience in coordinating financial closings, audits, and financial statement preparation required
- Proficient using Microsoft Office Suite tools including advanced Excel and financial ERP/procurement systems; NetSuite and Coupa a plus
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about the role of finance and accounting in supporting the company’s strategy
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and SOX 404 compliance preferred