Literature Information & Data Scientist
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie’s Information Research (IR) group has a mission to unlock the information that makes cures possible. Within IR, the AbbVie Library Information Science (LIS) team builds tools and provides services that help AbbVie scientists interact with, manage and consume knowledge from scientific literature to foster innovation in drug discovery and development. LIS is a global organization, with a large presence in the Lake County headquarter as well as other research sites. We leverage leading technologies and methods to provide AbbVie scientists with our industry’s best capabilities around literature-based knowledge discovery.
This Literature Data Scientist role will be part of the Literature-based scientific discovery (LSD) team in the Library Information Science group. The Literature Data Scientist should have a sufficiently strong scientific and technical background to scope and fulfill LSD services. LSD services include literature searching, knowledge and data extraction, ontology-enabled text and data mining from scientific literature, patents, and other information resources, as well as semantic enrichment, and other library information search services. Additionally, the Literature Data Scientist will have to effectively collaborate across Library Information Science and other IR teams to deliver LSD services to our clients. The role will help build new self-service solutions for R&D scientists serving their recurring literature search needs and value-add tools leveraging a combination of commercial and internally developed software.
- Respond to client and internal requests for information by leveraging scientific domain and information research and knowledge.
- Conduct accurate, comprehensive, cost-effective searches, identify and utilize the best available resources.
- Exhibit leading edge knowledge of electronic tools and automation systems supporting the research function.
- Support AbbVie scientists’ with identifying most relevant information published knowledge and deliver customer specific search & analysis solutions.
- Cultivate strategic partnerships, understand client information needs, establish rapport and nurture open communication to facilitate development of client focused programs and initiatives.
- Collaborate with internal data scientists, information scientists and software developers to design and implement LSD-tailored literature and knowledge solutions to meet well-defined stakeholder requirements.
- Provide unique scientific insights and expertise by leveraging, streamlining, and automating a knowledge extraction & literature classification pipeline for collecting, extracting, curating and visualizing knowledge from scientific publications.
- Achieve great results while overwhelmingly demonstrating key AbbVie values and behaviors.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 4 years’ experience or Master’s Degree with 2 years’ experience.
- Preferably a degree in natural sciences (Biology, Pharmacy, Medicine, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Medicinal Chemistry), computational life science (such as Cheminformatics, Bioinformatics) or Information Science combined with very good biomedical knowledge;
- Search experience with biomedical information resources and commercial literature searching tools like DIALOG or STN as well as thesaurus knowledge is needed.
- Programming and informatics/data science/computer science background; Proficiency in one or more relevant programming languages, such as Python (required), Java or R. Ability to understand and modify existing code as well as develop new scripts and set up new data processing workflows. Experience with relational databases, SQL, SPARQL or Robotic Process Automation (RPA) would be an additional asset.
- Strong analytical skills to process, analyze, visualize, and present results. Knowledge of technologies for data analysis and visualization of complex data (e.g. Rest APIs, XML, JSON, KNIME, Pipeline Pilot, Plotly/Dash, RShiny or Spotfire) as well as knowledge of public domain standard biomedical terminologies (e.g. MESH, NCI, HGNC) is desirable.
- Systematic problem-solving, quick grasp of things and superior attention to detail in developing tailored solutions, high degree of reliability and integrity.
- Demonstrates an interest in working collaboratively, cross-functionally, and in inter-disciplinary teams with an ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing to scientists and non-scientists.
- Well-organized and balances taking direction from others (sponsors, partners, clients) with taking initiative to manage multiple project and learning responsibilities.
- Innate scientific curiosity, technical creativity and innovative thinking, motivated to break new ground in the field of information/literature analysis and knowledge discovery.
- Fluency in English.
AbbVie is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer: At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.