Associate Director, Business Operations & Strategy
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Associate Director, Business Operations & Strategy Network
At AbbVie our mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that make a remarkable impact on people’s lives. The Business Operations & Strategy (BOS) Network is a new, dynamic team within Strategic Operations, Pharmacovigilance and Patient Safety (PPS) at AbbVie, Inc. The network is comprised of experienced professionals who help ensure Functional projects have a substantial return on investment and a measurable effect on the AbbVie pipeline of new medicines and R&D priorities. BOS professionals are valued, key partners of the PPS Leadership Team and enable efficient and proactive representation of the Vice President / Departmental / Functional Leader they support, among complex stakeholder networks. The Associate Director, Business Operations & Strategy Network, is an experienced pharmaceutical professional with experience in R&D and / or Commercial. This professional is passionate about strategy and has a demonstrated ability to execute complex projects. Specifically, in this role the Associate Director supports Vice President, Safety Sciences to drive Function-specific strategies and tactical plans to advance our pipeline, change management, and communications as well as ad hoc projects. Further, the BOS role supports alignment of functional priorities to PPS priorities and ensures connectivity horizontally and vertically across the PPS organization. BOS professionals serve as the liaison between the Vice President, Safety Sciences and their Leadership Team / Extended Leadership Team as well as other functions (e.g. Talent, Finance, Business Technology Solutions, Global Medical Affairs, External Partners, etc.) facilitating communication and execution on both routine and long-term initiatives.
A.Strategy & Innovation
- Support development of the functional strategy and strategic priorities by collecting information and connecting dots across the function. Support development of functional goals. Drive alignment across RD, PPS and functional goals.
- Support strategic projects related to function strategy, operations, and asset-specific deliverables.
- Support innovation from ideation to value proposition, to resourcing and funding, to implementation in partnership with stakeholders as applicable.
- Coordinate development, implementation and management of strategic plans, roadmaps, and timelines in partnership with stakeholders across RD, BTS, FIN, PPS LT, PPS PTDI, and other stakeholders as applicable. Ensure appropriate prioritization and interdependencies. Support functional governance structures to ensure achievement of milestones and objectives.
- Contribute to knowledge exchange among Business Operations & Strategy Network team members.
C.Function Project Leadership
- Lead, manage, or advise on priority projects related to functional strategy, integration, operations, and asset-related deliverables. Engage with BPOs, OOPST, PTDI / EPP, etc. as applicable.
- Coordinate resource planning (head count, budget) with business operations.
- Manage functional results report and pipeline/asset dashboards to ensure milestones are met and report on progress via visual and oral presentations.
- Resolve operational gaps and issues through appropriate triaging and communication channels.
- Highlight potential risks and help develop appropriate mitigation strategies and plans.
- Manage vendor relationships, contracting, and invoicing if applicable, to ensure objectives are met. Support onboarding of new employees and contractors.
A.Communications and Meetings
- Champion connectivity and knowledge exchange across LT, XLT and the Business Operations & Strategy Network; drive engagement and integration between functional LT and staff (e.g. LT and All-Staff meetings, communications, digital collaboration spaces, community building activities, etc.).
- Maintain key functional resources including playbooks, guides, communications materials, etc. as applicable.
- Ensures effective and optimal use of IT tools for collaboration, communication and record keeping.
B.Community & Culture Building
- Facilitate collaboration across functional leadership, senior staff and key external partners by driving key communications from PPS Leadership Team throughout the PPS organization including the Functional Leader, Functional Leadership Team, Senior Staff and the broader staff.
- Manage interfaces within function and PPS (as applicable) by supporting change management initiatives for key changes and issues, collecting and implementing feedback from key stakeholders.
- External / Internal stakeholder collaboration leadership and support including contributing to establishment of objectives, priorities, and governance for stakeholder relationships and related projects. This may include coordinating knowledge sharing forums and roadshows (internal and external).
- Strong leadership and communication skills to manage meetings with 200+ highly trained professionals
- Broad understanding of the R&D drug discovery and development experience.
- Experienced in leading projects in a matrixed organization.
- Applied knowledge of program management tools and processes (e.g., management of integration, scope, time, cost, quality, human resources, communications, risk and procurement) (preferred).
- Experience with performance measurement and communication (e.g., metrics, dashboards).
- Experience in developing business strategies and facilitating strategic planning sessions and workshops (preferred).
- Strong communications skills, oral and written.
- Open to new ideas and the ability to connect the dots within and across groups and functions.
- Organizational resourcefulness.
- Budget planning and management experience.
- Knowledge with Excel, MS Teams, SharePoint.
- Bachelor’s degree in related science field (e.g., BSN, BS, BS Pharm, PharmD).
- Advanced degree preferred.
- PMP or equivalent project management experience a plus.
- 7+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry in a variety of roles in at least one role/functional area associated with drug development (research and development, commercial, project management, operations).
- At least 4 years in a cross-functional project / program management role.
Significant Work Activities
Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.