Research Biologist II – Protein Engineer
We are seeking a protein engineer to join discovery research at BioCryst. The successful candidate will have the proven capabilities to work effectively across a broad spectrum of biological targets and therapeutic areas. The successful candidate must possess a combination of strong technical knowledge in biologics drug discovery and will coordinate and administer planning, research, and development of new and existing processes, ideologies, and programs for the continued support of the preclinical and discovery departments. This person will conduct and collaborate with other departments within the company as well as consult with outside contract organizations on research and development projects relevant to long term objectives and concerns of the company. The Research Biologist II will also develop strategies to ensure effective achievement of scientific goals, and monitor and evaluate assigned personnel for tasks and projects within the biology department. This person will also assist the Vice President in developing departmental budget and administering capital expenditures and support personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide strong knowledgebase and hands-on expertise with state-of-the-art protein engineering techniques to develop a robust pipeline of biotherapeutics including monoclonal antibodies, fusion proteins, and recombinant proteins for the treatment of rare diseases. Conduct biologics drug design, develop and optimize analytical methods for biologics characterization.
- Provide Biologics support and scientific expertise in support of target validation efforts for rare diseases.
- Develop in vitro assays required for the validation of novel therapeutic targets. Design, validate, and conduct in vitro biological and immunological assays for the pharmacological characterization of new biological drug candidates for multiple research programs.
- Design and conduct in vivo studies for evaluating new drug candidates and current investigational drugs for efficacy in disease models and pharmacokinetics in rodents.
- The successful candidate should be a key contributor of a cross-functional team that collaboratively develops novel therapeutics. The candidate will work closely with our Biology In Vivo Pharmacology teams, as well as external CROs, in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment. The successful candidate should also be a self-motivated individual with demonstrated experience in the development of therapeutic biologics molecules.
- Provide technical due diligence on new technology or target ideas for multiple ongoing projects
- Participate in technology development in biology. Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories.
- Direct and maintain Biosafety Containment II Area within the tissue culture facility.
- Conduct non-GLP pilot studies and prepare study reports for potential drug candidates.
- Assist director in protocol development and related reports for preclinical studies.
- Implement procedures for monitoring projects in house and with contract facilities to inform management of current project status.
- Establish collaboration and communication cross-functionally with Chemistry, Bioanalytical, Biology, and Drug Development groups within BioCryst organization to ensure appropriate guidelines and procedures are adhered to maintain and facilitate the completion of company goals and objectives.
- All other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ph.D. with 5+ years Biochemistry, Immunology, Molecular & Cell Biology experience with a proven track record in antibody and recombinant protein discovery and engineering.
- Demonstrated experience with engineering differentiated lead molecules including but not limited to antibodies, fusion proteins, multi-specifics and other protein scaffolds.
- The ideal candidate will have working experience with protein expression and purification using mammalian, insect, and yeast expression system. Also important is experience with therapeutic antibodies or FC fusion proteins.
- Experience in engineering, high-throughput selection methods and characterization of protein and antibody variants with sustained record of productivity and substantive scientific contributions as evidenced by high-impact publications, patent inventorship, and/or presentations.
- Knowledge of protein structures and understanding protein structure-function relationships.
- Experience in molecular biology and protein chemistry, working with large libraries of protein variants, and analytical characterization methods such as HPLC, MS, NMR.
- Strong experimental skills in molecular biology, protein expression, purification, and characterization
- A keen eye for critical path, providing scientific oversight and direction to the biologics programs as well as enabling go/no go decisions for projects.
- Experience managing cross-functional biologics discovery and development team and advancing therapeutic candidates.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate at all levels within the organization.
- Demonstrate leadership, organizational and project management skills with flexibility in working with organizations and/or partners with different cultures, values, mindsets, and approaches.
- Detailed-oriented with meticulous oversight, coordination, and tracking abilities.
- Ability to work independently under limited supervision.
- Ability to invest time, as required, and expedites and/or completes assignments whenever necessary to meet corporate objectives.
- Ability to work in a challenging environment with frequent interruptions, changing priorities and deadlines, willingness to take on difficulty tasks with can-do altitude.
- Must be able to lift 10 to 15 lbs (tanks, solutions, etc).
The statements in this position description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. The manager may assign additional responsibilities and assignments from time to time.
BioCryst is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities without regard to age, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, Veterans status, disability and/or other protected class characteristics. Additionally, BioCryst is committed to achieving its business objectives in compliance with all federal, state and local law.