Senior Research Associate I (Molecular Biology)
This position is responsible for cloning and expressing antigens, antibodies and their variants for our antibody discovery programs. The successful candidate will also perform next generation sequencing (NGS) and qPCR assays.
- Perform molecular cloning of constructs for antibodies, antigens and reagents using restriction ligation, Gibson assembly, and other techniques.
- Design primers, gene fragments and vectors for complex multi-fragment cloning strategies.
- Perform PCR, DNA mini-, midi-, maxi-prepping procedures.
- Prepare and process samples for next generation sequencing (NGS) and run them on our Illumina instrumentation.
- Optimize cloning and nucleic acid analysis workflows, including library preparation and analysis.
- Analyze DNA sequences; troubleshoot difficult experiments and construct cloning strategies.
- Maintain and archive DNA clones, and bacterial glycerol stocks.
- Organize, summarize and present data and results at department and project team meetings.
- Assist/mentor junior, and new, laboratory personnel.
- Develop an expanding technical and theoretical knowledge base in molecular biology with a growing understanding of the scientific literature in relevant areas of research.
- Maintain a detailed and well organized record of experiments in an electronic notebook.
- Maintain familiarity with literature to propose and implement improved procedures and protocols, and to aid in problem solving.
- Follow and adhere to SOPs and laboratory safety regulations
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques.
- Expertise in cloning and PCR methodologies, including vector and primer design.
- Knowledge of next generation sequencing methods; hands on experience a huge bonus.
- Practical knowledge of protein expression vectors (promoter, transcriptional signals, etc.) and the ability to analyze DNA and protein sequences.
- Knowledge of DNA analysis software programs such as Sequencher, DNAStar or their equivalent, and with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Ability to communicate clearly, and to report and present experimental results and analysis to company colleagues.
- Effective interpersonal skills, including both written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, organize multiple assignments, and work simultaneously on at least 2 projects.
- Ability to work effectively as a team player in a complex, changing environment.
- Self-motivated, independent, and results-oriented.
- Team player, intensely committed to success and getting the job done well in a highly dynamic environment.
- Ability to learn and follow protocols.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, with high attention to details.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Position may require occasional evening and/or weekend commitment.
- Position may require working with biological and/or chemical hazards
- Position might require lifting up to 20 pounds
Education & Experience:
- BA/BS in Molecular Biology or related scientific field, and 2+ years related experience, or MA/MS with related experience.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.