Scientist- Synthetic Biology
Zero Acre Farms is a well-funded "Stealth" start-up in the San Francisco Bay Area actively focused on Human and Planetary Health. We are recruiting a core team that share our passion in this area and seek exceptional scientists and technologists to join this effort.
If you strive to have a quantum impact on health and sustainability, have a green thumb when it comes to cutting-edge synthetic biology, bioanalytical, or industrial biotechnologies, and jump at an opportunity to build a collaborative work environment from the ground up, we would love to hear from you.
Please share your CV and include in the subject line “Scientist - Synthetic Biology”.
Zero Acre Farms seeks a Scientist in Synthetic/Molecular Biology to join our Strain Development team to develop and apply molecular tools for the genetic optimization of our non-conventional microbial hosts. The successful candidate will have a strong background in eukaryotic molecular genetics and metabolism and experience successfully developing and applying molecular tools to non-conventional microorganisms for the optimization of whole cell biocatalysts and fermentation processes. The new team member will work closely with scientists of the Strain Development Team as well as be able to communicate and collaborate successfully with members of the Bio-Analytical, Cultivation, and Recovery teams. As an integral part of core R&D, this position requires exceptional organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- PhD or equivalent in biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, genetics, chemical engineering, or related discipline
- >3 years experience working in an industrial setting
- Deep understanding of the biochemistry, metabolism, and genetics of yeast, including gene structure and regulation
- Experience applying modern synthetic biology techniques including gene design and synthesis, library design and synthesis, Gibson Assembly, and Golden Gate Assembly
- Experience using HTP tools to automate the generation and screening of genetic libraries
- Experience culturing and working with a variety of microorganisms including model and non-model prokaryotes and eukaryotes
- Knowledge of and experience with a variety of mechanisms of genetic manipulation including direct and agrobacterium-mediated transformation, RNAi, CRISPR, physical and chemical mutagenesis, homologous and non-homologous recombination
- Expertise with the software packages for the visualization, interpretation, and manipulation of DNA at gene and genomic scales
- Exceptional ability to design, execute and analyze conclusive experiments
- Ability and desire to learn and where necessary to develop new techniques and technologies
- Successful experience and desire to work within and contribute to a diverse, collaborative, multi-disciplinary team
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
Nice to Have
- Experience breeding strains through sexual and parasexual mating
- Experience in Metabolic Modeling, Metabolic Flux Analysis
- Experience in Adapted laboratory evolution of strains