Senior Scientist II/ Principal Research Scientist I, DNA Encoded Library Screening
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Seeking a highly motivated and experienced research scientist to join Abbvie’s DNA Encoded Library (DEL) effort in our Drug Discovery Science and Technology (DDST) organization at our corporate headquarter located in the Chicago area. The scientist will be working in a cross functional team to build our internal DEL screening capabilities and infrastructure and lead our DEL screening effort in support of a variety targets from different therapeutic areas across discovery. The applicant should have extensive experience in DEL screening and a strong track record in successfully applying DEL platform for hit generation against different target classes. He/she should have solid understanding of DNA encoded library selection, protein sciences, biophysics and enzymology. The candidate should be able to work effectively in a cross disciplinary team environment and can productively manage several projects simultaneously in a dynamic and rapidly evolving project landscape.
- Build DEL screening process and infrastructure
- Work closely with protein biochemists, chemists, and biologists to perform DEL selections
- Understand project needs, design DEL selections and perform experiments as a key member of drug discovery project teams.
- Work together with protein biochemistry, biophysics, screen team and chemistry team for hit follow-up
- Actively lead new method development in DEL screening and build platform learnings
- Actively contribute to DEL hit deconvolution and library enhancements
- Maintain knowledge of current scientific literature and methods on DEL and other screening platforms. Contribute ideas and adopt novel technologies to improve research methodologies
- Generate new research strategies to effectively address project needs
Position will be hired based on level of experience.
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Chemistry or related field with 4-6+ years of relevant academic and/or pharmaceutical industry experience
- Extensive hands-on experience in DEL selection and a strong track record in successfully applying DEL platform for hit generation
- Highly skilled in protein handling and extensive experience in different biochemical and biophysical methods for protein characterization
- Platform expertise beyond selection sciences (i.e. library construction, informatics, and/or deconvolution) will be a strong plus
- Excellent problem-solving skills, capable of finding innovative ways to overcome issues
- Strong communication skills and the ability to contribute in a multidisciplinary environment are essential
- Good record keeping and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously in a dynamic environment
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.