Associate Scientist I/II, Pharmaceutics
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie is seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic scientist to assist in profiling the biopharmaceutics properties of candidate molecules as a member or our Pharmaceutics team. The Pharmaceutics team at AbbVie works within Discovery project teams to assess and guide optimization of both the physicochemical and biopharmaceutical properties of candidate small molecules for advancement into clinical development. This position focuses on the execution of a broad range of in vitro and ex vivo, assays that help understand absorption behavior of pipeline compounds; working closely with Pharmaceutics project team representatives to assess developability of candidate molecules.
- Perform diverse in vitro and ex vivo assays to assess physicochemical and biopharmaceutical properties of candidate small molecules
- Assist in design and development of state-of-the-art in vitro assays and to bring in novel technology and innovation to the group.
- Demonstrate strong data interpretation skills, ability to troubleshoot experiments and instrumentation, suggest, design, and pursue relevant experiments
- Ability to learn and understand new experimental techniques and be able to place data in proper scientific context by consulting and citing relevant literature.
- Maintain excellent documentation of all work including electronic lab notebooks, test methods and protocols.
- Present results and experimental information in team meetings.
- BS with typically 0-3 years of experience or MS with no additional experience required.
- Degree in Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemistry, or Chemical Engineering preferred.
*Job level will be commensurate with experience
- Understanding of the potential impact of physicochemical and biopharmaceutical properties on oral absorption.
- Working knowledge of physiological barriers to oral drug absorption, including various potential transport mechanisms.
- Experience with analytical approaches toward physicochemical characterization of small-molecule candidates (e.g. UV/vis, HPLC, LC/MS, PXRD, microscopy, dissolution) and ex vivo tissue handling.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational, planning and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to changing conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional team setting.
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.