Senior Scientist I/II, Physical Analytical Chemistry - ARD
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie Analytical Research &Development (Analytical R&D) is a global analytical sciences organization responsible for all CMC analytical activities related to the development of AbbVie's pharmaceutical products. Our scope includes AbbVie's diverse pipeline of innovative small molecule and therapeutic biologic medicines and spans from the selection of Discovery candidate molecules through the transition of analytical methods and testing to commercial labs to support product launch. We are building a world-class team of scientists and leaders who will drive the advancement of industry-leading analytical capabilities and make meaningful contributions to advance AbbVie's pipeline of innovative medicines. Careers in AbbVie Analytical R&D provide unique opportunities to work with global and cross-functional teams to drive exceptional science and innovative product development strategies. We are looking for diverse candidates with strong scientific and leadership experience to join the AbbVie Analytical R&D team and can offer exciting and rewarding career opportunities for these candidates.
The Senior Scientist position will be in the Analytical R&D Global Tech Center Physical Analytical Chemistry (PAC) group. The PAC group is a global team of experienced and innovative scientists which utilize a diverse set of physical analytical tools to advance CMC development programs by providing insights and driving the understanding of materials, processes, and products. Additionally, the group contributes to development and justification of control strategies and authors relevant sections of regulatory submissions across all development phases.
The primary deliverables for this role are the application of physical analytical technologies in support of drug substance and drug product development, which include the design and execution of experimental studies and, when appropriate, the development and validation of test methods for GMP testing. The primary areas of focus include the application of imaging (optical, electron and/or X-ray), thermal analysis and/or vibrational spectroscopy.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education and typically 10-12 years of relevant experience; Master’s Degree or equivalent education and typically 8-10 years of relevant experience; Ph. D. and typically 0-4 years of experience.
- Ability to coordinate activities and work simultaneously on multiple projects, in a global, fast-paced, setting where priorities may change quickly.
- Proven effective written and verbal communication skills and ability to interact effectively with interdisciplinary scientists, engineers, quality staff, regulators, and management.
- High attention to detail and creative problem solving while exhibiting strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to work independently as well as part of teams.
*Job level will commensurate with experience
- Advanced degree in analytical chemistry, physical chemistry or pharmaceutical sciences.
- Experience in imaging and image analysis (optical, electron, X-ray microscopy), thermal analysis (DSC, TGA) and/or vibrational spectroscopy (infrared, near-infrared, Raman).
- Strong physical chemistry fundamentals.
- Previous work experience in a pharmaceutical laboratory and knowledge of drug development process.
- Experienced in laboratory systems (LIMS, ELN).
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners within and outside of teams to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.