Research Associate/Senior Research Associate, Cell Biology and Virology
IconOVir Bio is a preclinical-stage biotechnology company pioneering the next generation of oncolytic virus therapy to improve the treatment of patients with cancer. The Company’s proprietary oncolytic virus platform is based on technology developed by scientific founder Clodagh O’Shea, Ph.D., of the Salk Institute. It is designed to address key limitations of first- and second-generation oncolytic viruses and provide a personalized therapy for cancer patients.
Summary of Position
We are seeking an experienced cell biologist/virologist to join our Virus Analytics group to help build a pipeline of virus-based therapeutics for the treatment of cancer. The successful candidate is expected to have a strong scientific background in cell-based assays, assay development, and/or virology, and will be responsible for assisting with the development and performance of screening assays for virus therapeutic candidates using various screening platforms.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Expertise in cell and virus based assay design
- Perform virus production and purification according to laboratory protocols and SOPs
- Execute in vitro assays to evaluate virus candidates for activity in panels of human cell lines Includes culture of primary tumor cells and human cell lines using aseptic technique
- Manage virus produced by external vendors by performing quality control assays and organizing stocks.
- Successfully execute and document laboratory procedures and experiments with great attention to detail
- Analyze and interpret data, prepare summary tables and review raw data
- Manage material, equipment and instrumentation, and keep accurate inventories of supplies for laboratory; forecast future needs based on projections
- Write SOPs, study plans and reports
- Maintain electronic lab notebook and appropriate documentation
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to advance pipeline development
- Keep up to date with the literature in the field
- B.S. or M.S. in Biology or related field with 2+ years of relevant experience
- The ideal candidate will have a cell biology, cell-based assay and/or virology background
- Molecular biology experience is a plus
- Hands-on experience with cell culture and aseptic technique
- Experience working with human viruses is a plus
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, effective communication, and demonstrated ability to work well across functional teams
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.