Senior Scientist l, Pharmacology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The In Vivo Pharmacology Department, Oncology Discovery team at AbbVie is expanding and will be hiring a Senior Scientist l. The Senior Scientist I will perform tumor efficacy and PK/PD studies and provide pharmacology support to innovative cancer drug development. The scientist will work collaboratively in a project team setting with biology, medicinal chemistry and DMPK scientists, formulating and executing efficient in vivo structure activity relationship strategy and advancing oncology programs to clinical development.
The Senior Scientist l will provide preclinical Pharmacology support to Abbvie oncology drug discovery and development projects in hematological malignancy and immuno-oncology. Conceive and implement novel experimental approaches to tumor model development, efficacy/PK/PD in vivo mechanism-of-action investigation, target discovery and validation, disease mechanisms, resistance biology, and tumor microenvironment interaction in support of drug discovery and development. Investigate, develop, validate or optimize existing and new methods/models to solve project related scientific problems. Work closely with scientists in biology, medicinal chemistry, DMPK, translational medicine while reporting to Principal Scientist, Preclinical Pharmacology. Generate efficacy and PD data to support preclinical development of drug candidates and regulatory submissions. Develop productive collaborations and communications with other groups across scientific disciplines.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
- Design and conduct tumor efficacy, imaging, and PD studies.
- Understand and adhere to IACUC protocols regarding animal welfare and handling.
- Cell culture and banking to support efficacy studies.
- Conduct ex vivo assays such as multi-color FACS, MSD, WES and Luminex to understand MOA of in vivo studies.
- Contribute Pharmacology knowledge and strategy within project team structure and present/report analyses of in vivo studies.
- Improve existing Pharmacology workflows, data visualization tools, and work across discovery teams to integrate efficient workflows for cross-functional analyses and endpoints.
- Thinking critically and innovatively.
- Commitment to scientific rigor, high data quality and careful documentation.
- Self-motivated, possess strong problem solving and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities, adapt to changing priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexibility and motivation to learn techniques and accomplish goals outside those stated above.
- Senior Scientist I: PhD in cancer/cell biology, immunology, or a related field, or master/bachelor’s degree with 8+ (master) and 10+ (bachelor) years of experience with extensive hands-on skills of in vivo tumor model execution; preferably in a pharmaceutical or biotech industry setting.
- Proficient hands-on experience with in vivo tumor model development, including cell culture, tumor inoculation via different routes/sites, and tumor volume measurement.
- Experience and knowledge with genetically engineered mouse models, orthotopic tumor models, and cell line-derived models.
- Technical experience in flow cytometry, primary cell culture, tissue processing, as well as other standard molecular and cellular biology assays (MSD, ELISA, Wes, etc.).
- Must be proactive and able to work effectively on multiple projects in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively to design, execute and interpret experiments to answer scientific questions (desired).
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.