Senior Scientist I (HTS)
The Senior Scientist I, High Throughput Screening will have a broad knowledge of assay development and automation. The candidate will be responsible for the development of medium (384-well plate) and high (1536-well plate) throughput biochemical and cellular assays to identify new chemical matter to support Exelixis’ drug discovery projects. By implementing his/her knowledge of a diverse array of assay detection technologies the candidate will profile a variety of signal transduction cascades to identify small molecule activators and inhibitors. In addition to being at the bench, this scientist will supervise the development and execution of assays by assistant research scientists and may serve as a biology representative on drug discovery project teams. This role supports the drug discovery pipeline by working with the Director of High Throughput Screening on overall research projects, establishing decision-making cascades, creating and adhering to aggressive timelines and implementing the appropriate resources required for success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Designs, plans and leads compound profiling and high throughput screening projects focused on the targeting and interrogation of signaling pathways with a deep knowledge of cutting-edge approaches focused on HTS and automation
• Serves as a senior research staff member to provide research guidance and project leadership in identifying, advancing, and supporting internal and external research collaborations in developing novel therapies
• Develops, evaluates, optimizes and implements new technologies, laboratory protocols, and methodologies for biochemical and cell-based assays
• Keeps current with relevant scientific advancements, competitive landscape, and new technologies, relevant to the research projects
• Presents data and reports on project status to department head and at company research meetings, and communicates scientific results to corporate partners and/or collaborators
• Interacts and collaborates with internal groups and departments to discuss and resolve program and/or department needs
• Maintains laboratory notebook in a complete, consistent and concise manner in accordance with company intellectual property policies and practices
• Complies with company health and safety policies and general laboratory practices
• Directly supervises a team of research associates and scientists
• Ph.D. in biochemistry, pharmacology or related field with four to six years post-doctoral drug discovery experience
• Experience managing projects and/or workgroups in biotechnology or pharmaceutical organizations including experience with management/coaching of employees
• Experience working with a variety of cutting-edge automation tools (liquid handlers, readers, etc.)
• Established strong publication track record in drug discovery research
• Broad understanding of biochemical and cellular assays as well as the detection technologies used in their execution
• Ability to collaborate effectively cross-functionally and in a team setting
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced dynamic environment while delivering high quality work
• Sets goals with understanding of priority and impact to the program, department and organization.
• Applies advanced scientific and technical principles, theories and concepts. Contributes to the development of new principles and concepts
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents
• Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
• Works on extremely complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangible variables
• Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
• Uses professional concepts to contribute to development of achieving objectives in creative and effective ways
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.