Sr Machine Learning Engineer
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like you're part of something bigger, it's because you are. At Amgen, our shared mission-to serve patients-drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world's leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve together-researching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. It's time for a career you can be proud of. Join us.
Sr Data Scientist
What you will do
The DH&I Data Science & Engineering (DS&E) team is seeking an experienced Senior Machine Learning Engineer (MLE) to advance our mission and help build, deploy and sustain machine learning models that can predict patients' risk for particular diseases, infer medicines that could be most efficacious for patients, along with other solutions that benefit patients. In this capacity, the Senior Machine Learning Engineer (MLE) will architect and engineer the technical and data pipelines for digital products that feature AI/ML algorithms, including how data and models will be scaled, supervised, maintained and effectively managed.
- Lead efforts with Amgen business leaders to identify, understand, explore, and deliver relevant data analyses to inform data inclusion, exclusion, and sub-setting criteria as well as feature and model selection for DH&I solutions.
- Collaborate with data scientists to analyze and select appropriate data models and algorithms that focus on improving patient outcomes across multiple therapeutic areas using diverse data.
- Assist in feature engineering to extract and create data features from large data sets for input into models.
- Collaborate with data scientists to define model validation strategies, train and tune models, and analyze and resolve errors in models.
- Lead model deployment to production.
- Define and develop model monitoring and maintenance processes including metrics to assess accuracy, drift, etc.
- Lead and develop standards and processes for the team across the machine learning-based solution implementation lifecycle.
What we expect of you
- 3+ years experience as a Machine Learning Engineer, Data Engineer, Software Engineer, or Data Scientist.
- Demonstrable experience developing production-level ML systems
- Understanding of data structures, data modeling, and software architecture.
- Demonstrable ability to write robust code in Python (open-source contributions or Kaggle kernels are a plus).
- Solid understanding of ubiquitous machine learning algorithms and approaches (NNs, RF classifiers, Ensemble methods, NLP etc...) and when to use them.
- Fluency in Linux operating system and associated shell commands.
- Translator able to communicate complex ML concepts to an executive/stakeholder audience.
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams and serve as a technical mentor to junior team.
- Proven experience leading and collaborating with diverse business partners to deploy a machine learning model to production on Amazon Web Services (AWS) or similar cloud technology service suite.
- Proficient understanding of distributed compute / data processing technology (e.g. Apache Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Dask).
- Hands-on experience using Databricks or Apache Spark (i.e. PySpark, SparkR, or Scala) and understanding best practices.
- Proficiency using and extending ML frameworks and libraries (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch, scikit-learn, kedro).
- Thought leader on and natural explorer of evolving ML landscape.
- Expert with version control (i.e. Git).
- Experience working or integrating with Electronic Health Record (EHR) systems such as EPIC, Cerner, and Allscripts.
- Deep functional knowledge in one or more functional areas (Research, Development, Commercial Operations, Manufacturing) in the healthcare or life science industry.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Business Analytics, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Informatics, Epidemiology, Health Economics, Math, Statistics, or similar field and 3+ years of experience.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with ability to self-direct.
- Experience in managing project scope.
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates' professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
Apply now for a career that defies imagination
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt. Join us.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.