Data Engineer (Graph databases)- Summer Internship
Black Diamond Therapeutics is a precision oncology medicine company pioneering the discovery and development of small molecule, tumor-agnostic therapies. Black Diamond targets undrugged mutations in patients with genetically defined cancers for whom limited treatment options currently exist. Black Diamond is built upon a deep understanding of cancer genetics, protein structure and function, and medicinal chemistry. The Company’s proprietary technology platform, Mutation-Allostery-Pharmacology, or MAP, platform, is designed to allow Black Diamond to analyze population-level genetic sequencing data to identify oncogenic mutations that promote cancer across tumor types, group these mutations into families and develop a single small molecule therapy in a tumor-agnostic manner that targets a specific family of mutations.
We are looking for a Summer Intern to join our Computational Sciences team. This would be a paid internship for 3-6 months in our New York City location but could also be remote (US candidates only). The Internship can be Full-time or part-time (minimum 20 hours per week).
The project provides an opportunity for an intern to contribute to an ongoing effort in the computational biology group. The results of this work can be directly implemented to improve the state of our platform.Responsibilities
- Design and implement (AWS) a graph database knowledge base containing internal and external life sciences data that includes but not limited to omics, chemical compounds, and population-level disease data.
- Incorporate publicly available databases (PDBe knowledgebase, hetionet) into internal db.
- Incorporate internal data into the database.
- Develop the codebase needed to accomplish the above.
- Evaluate/benchmark alternative databases, e.g. Neo4j, Neptune.
- An advanced college student or a graduate student in computer science or a related discipline focusing on graph databases and/or their applications.
- Experience with design and implementation of graph databases (Neo4j or similar)
- Proficiency with a graph query language such as Cypher
- Proficiency with at least one programming language commonly used in data analysis (Python, R)
- Have working knowledge of relational and NoSQL databases.
- An interest or prior experience with bio/omics data is a plus.
- Good communication skills are required.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift or move office products and supplies up to 20 lbs.