Biology Group Leader
Arcus Biosciences is a clinical-stage company, with 4 compounds (2 antibodies and 2 small molecules) being evaluated across 10 different clinical trials. Arcus also has a robust pipeline of preclinical and discovery programs that will continue to fuel the development pipeline, with at least another antibody and 1-2 small molecules expected to enter the clinic in 2021. The recently announced multi-year broad collaboration with Gilead Sciences will greatly accelerate our development activities and will create a unique professional opportunity for experienced individuals in all aspects of drug discovery and development.
- This is a leadership role within the Biology group, and as such you will act as a key representative of the Biology function, with significant interactions across all of research (Bioinformatics, Chemistry, Translational Science and Quantitative Biology).
- Working with Research team members to design and implement strategy, spanning the various stages of drug discovery, with the goal of advancing new molecules into first in human trials. This includes:
- target identification & validation
- elucidating the mechanism of action for drug candidates
- determining combination approaches
- prioritization of indications
- tumor intrinsic and immune based therapeutic targets
- significant contributions to early development through the identification of patient selection and biomarker criteria
- Oversight of group members on both technical and strategic levels to meet program goals
- Mentorship of both non-PhD and PhD level staff
- Implementation of new technologies/innovations to support drug discovery
- Oversight of technical reports and non-clinical sections to support regulatory filings
- Working with Research Leadership to set project goals
- Responsibility for both small molecule and antibody programs
- Representation of Arcus’s programs with both to the broader scientific community and strategic collaboration partners
- A Ph.D. degree in Biology, Immunology or Pharmacology
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in a high-quality industry environment, immunology focused drug discovery is highly desired
- Experience will include a detailed understanding of the many elements that are involved in a successful drug discovery program. This should be exemplified by having successfully shepherded drug candidates, antibody and/or small molecule, from the discovery/validation phase, through active drug discovery and on to regulatory filing
- Experience working with Translational science to develop target engagement, biomarker and patient selection criteria
- Outstanding verbal and presentational skills are obligatory. The selected candidate will be expected to represent Arcus effectively to collaborators and industry leaders
- A high level of proficiency in scientific writing is a pre-requisite. The frequent presentation of novel world-class science to external audiences is an important component of our business strategy. This includes conference abstracts, posters, manuscripts and research reports to support regulatory filings.
- Proven ability to oversee and manage complex interactions with external organizations in addition to CROs, such as corporate collaborations and other external partnerships.
- Demonstrated excellence in identifying human talent, hiring, developing, mentoring and managing high-performing groups. Technical depth and excellence are table stakes for this role.