Director/Senior Scientist Bio-Analytical Chemistry
Zero Acre Farms is a well-funded "Stealth" start-up in the San Francisco Bay Area actively focused on Human and Planetary Health. We are recruiting a core team that share our passion in this area and seek exceptional scientists and technologists to join this effort.
If you strive to have a quantum impact on health and sustainability, have a green thumb when it comes to cutting-edge synthetic biology, bioanalytical, or industrial biotechnologies, and jump at an opportunity to build a collaborative work environment from the ground up, we would love to hear from you.
Please share your CV and include in the subject line “Director/Senior Scientist BioAnalytical Chemistry”.
Director/Senior Scientist – Bio-Analytical Chemistry
Zero Acre Farms seeks an experienced Analytical Chemist to lead our growing Bio-Analytical Team. The successful candidate will be an exceptional scientist and have deep practical experience applying chromatographic and spectroscopic methods such as Gas Chromatography, Mass Spectroscopy, High Performance Liquid Chromatography, UV/Vis/Fluorescence spectroscopy, FTIR, and NMR to the detection, characterization, and quantification of target compounds in complex biological matrices. This hands-on position will be expected to scientifically lead the analytical core facility and its team, run and maintain its equipment, develop and execute robust sample prep and analysis methods, apply high-throughput methodologies and equipment to miniaturize and automate workflows, manage and process large data sets, and report on and statistically interpret results. The Bio-Analytical team collaborates closely with the Strain Development, Cultivation, and Harvest Teams to establish integrated experimental workflows and tackle cross functional development goals. Accordingly, this position requires exceptional organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- PhD or equivalent in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related discipline
- At least 5 years working in an industrial environment
- Dedication to training and sharing professional and scientific expertise
- Hands on experience developing and applying analytical S.O.P.s using several of the following: GC, HPLC, MS, NMR, FTIR, UV/VIS/Fluorescence, and FACS
- Deep command of equipment mechanics, maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Expert user of modern equipment software, such as Chem Station, Mass Hunter, and the like
- Successful deployment of automation and assay miniaturization to support high-throughput workflows
- Experience processing and reporting on large data sets
- Strong command of statistics for experimental design and data analysis
- Exceptional ability to present data concisely and convincingly
- Strong desire to learn new techniques and technologies
- Success and interest in contributing to a diverse multi-disciplinary team
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
Nice to have
- Experience in the development of biochemical and enzymatic assays.
- Working knowledge of high-throughput flow-cell NMR
- Chemical characterization of impurities and the closing of reaction/process mass balances.