Research Associate II
Manager: Associate Director, Gene Specificity
Location: Richmond, CA
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. At Sangamo, we are passionate in developing genomic medicines to transform the lives of patients with serious diseases. We transform lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking a talented Research Associate to join our technology development group. The successful candidate will work closely with a team of outstanding Scientists and Research Associates to create novel genome engineering technologies that will have applications across diverse disease areas including cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, and autoimmune disorders. The successful candidate will contribute to many aspects of this effort including design, development, and validation of new Next Generation Sequencing assays and characterizing the specificity of our genome editing reagents. The position requires adaptability, creativity, and a capacity for constant innovation in pursuit of performance that will enable novel therapies. The work is exciting, fast-paced, and offers the opportunity to contribute and publish at the cutting edge of cellular engineering research.
Testing and implementation of technological innovations including:
- Next-generation sequencing (NGS) library preparation
- Primer design, PCR analysis, qPCR and digital PCR experience
- Nucleic acid quantification and size determination
- Molecular cloning, plasmid preparation, in vitro RNA synthesis, DNA/RNA/protein purification
- Mammalian cell culture, non-viral transfection, viral transduction, genomic DNA extraction
- Data analysis and visualization
- Execution and documentation of experiments
- Organization and presentation of results
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- B.S. or M.S. in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics or related field
- 2-5 years of relevant experience in a biotechnology company or an academic laboratory
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques
- Ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented environment to meet project goals and timelines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- General computer skills including Windows and Office
- Mammalian cell culture, transfection, DNA/RNA extraction
- NGS experience
- Automated liquid handler experience
- Hands-on gene editing experience
- Background in the development of molecular biology tools (e.g. reagents for genome engineering or assay development to detect genome editing events)
- Computational skills such as Linux shell scripting, python, and R programming
- Proficiency in bioinformatics software for NGS data analysis
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.