Associate Director, Global HTA Strategy
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Advances in scientific and technological research are opening up new, promising treatments for previously difficult to treat diseases, increasing the demand on already constrained healthcare budgets. The challenging economic and political environment is leading Health Technology Assessment (HTA) agencies and payers to demand better outcomes at lower cost to overall health system.
To succeed in this environment, we (AbbVie) need to fully understand market value drivers, identify the evidence required for Pricing, Reimbursement and Access (PRA), and work with the evidence generating functions to ensure that evidence generated will support successful HTA outcome and PRA negotiations.
The Global HTA Strategy team is a recently created global function within the Global Market Access & Pricing department. The team was established to realize the full value of our assets by strategically informing drug development, evidence generation and HTA submissions, aligned with HTA/payer needs. The primary goals of the function are to ensure HTA evidence requirements are considered early in the development of Abbvie assets and a robust and aligned HTA strategy across the organization in order to ensure the successful launch of Abbvie assets.
The Global HTA Strategy Lead position will be based in the Chicago office and will report into the Global Head of HTA Strategy.
Key objective of role
The Global HTA Strategy function will drive strategy and process to ensure positive HTA outcome aligned with the Access ambition and strategy optimizing price, time to reimbursement and level of access
- Lead the development of the Asset and indication HTA strategy in close collaboration with the internal cross-functional teams and external stakeholders
- Develop HTA insights collaborating with key affiliates to understand Access Evidence requirements for specific diseases and assets
- Consult HTA decision Databases, develop HTA /payer engagement plans and gather insights from early scientific advice from HTA agencies and other external experts
- Assess Target Product Profiles, Clinical Development Plans and inform Global Integrated Evidence Strategies
- Provide strategic input into global development Programs, developing solutions and scenarios through the Asset Integrated Evidence Strategy Team.
- Internal stakeholders include: Global Market Access and Pricing; Global Health Economics and Outcomes Research; Affiliates; Areas; R&D; Commercial; Medical and Regulatory; Governance bodies
- Ensure clear lines of communication on progress and issues with the internal team, including senior management
- Support the development of global Payer evidence deliverables, working in close collaboration with global colleagues and external vendors
- Support to areas/affiliates on local HTA submissions by providing strategic guidance and coordinating across evidence generation functions at global level (Medical Affairs, HEOR and Clinical Development) to answer questions from HTA agencies
- Monitoring evolving HTA technical and evidentiary requirements and shaping new methods with external partners
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience gathered in market access, experience in working within a health economics-related field would be a plus. Preference for candidates with an advanced degree in health economics, life sciences, health service, or related discipline (MSc, PhD)
- A deep understanding of pricing and reimbursement processes across key HTA markets
- Skilled in developing strategy to secure positive recommendations from influential HTA bodies
- Experience of developing reimbursement submissions
- Experience and strong ability in working collaboratively across matrix functions
- Strong project management capability with adherence to strict timelines
- Skilled in translating complex concepts into simple language
- Deep understanding of health economic and evidence synthesis concepts
- Experience of identifying and addressing evidence gaps relevant to demonstrating CE.
- Ability to work collaboratively across matrix functions
- Ability to build strong and enduring relationships with renowned External Experts
- Inspires and motivates others toward a shared purpose
- Influences colleagues to achieve cross-functional alignment
- Deals comfortably with risk and ambiguity, changing course when needed.
- Makes timely, high-quality decisions with less than perfect information.
- Sets clear strategies and robust implementation plans.
- Has ability to understand complex problems and translate into simple ideas and solutions
- Acts respectfully yet courageously; says what needs to be said
- Communicates openly and honestly with all colleagues
- Connects unrelated concepts, generates original or unique ideas
- Persistent and resilient —finds the way to move good ideas forward
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 50 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.