Director, AbbVie Transition Office
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie Transition Office | Director
The AbbVie Transition Office (ATO) is responsible for leading the company through significant transformations and change efforts ranging from major transactions – M&A integrations and divestitures / carve-outs – to strategic enterprise initiatives.
The Director, AbbVie Transition Office collaborates with executive management and AbbVie functional leaders (R&D, Operations, Commercial, Corporate) to conceive, plan, and drive the execution of enterprise wide, cross-functional/divisional, and global transactions / initiatives.
Transition programs under management include integration of ongoing / potential mergers & acquisitions, divestitures / carve-outs, and other key strategic initiatives and transformational projects.
This position manages largescale transformational programs by overseeing adherence to strategy, achievement of deal value, cross-functional & global partnerships, governance, risk management, and change management / communication.
This position leads a team of cross-functional resources – with or without supplemental external support – that functions globally and delivers best in class transaction / transformation management practices. S/he ensures that these deliverables are completed within established timelines, budgets, resource allocation, and in accordance with quality/performance expectations.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Leading M&A integration and divestiture activities
- Accountable for driving results within a heavily matrixed environment, including functional, cross-functional, and global projects related to ATO programs
- Cross-functional and global project team leadership with experience supporting multiple complex initiatives simultaneously
- Interface with company leadership to ensure successful program visioning and execution
- Design of key processes and metrics to oversee working teams and reporting to Executive Steering Committee or other management
- Track and report on key milestones and financial / synergy metrics
- Management of all activities within allocated budget and according to agreed-upon timelines
- Monitoring performance of functional and, if required, local affiliate / area / global teams
- Management of key external resources/consulting firms engaged to achieve ATO program goals
- Roll-out and train relevant (functional, cross-functional, global) teams on ATO processes, frameworks, and tools
- Development and management of ATO playbooks
- Compliance with all AbbVie policies & procedures
- Leading by example: demonstrating AbbVie behavioral competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field
- Minimum 10 years of work experience in consulting or similar business environment
- Experience in M&A, integrations, divestitures, or large scale transformational programs
- Cross-functional and global project team leadership experience
- Demonstrated project management ability of multiple simultaneous projects with many moving pieces
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proactive attitude and strong planning capabilities
- Strong financial acumen and executive-ready communication skills
- Ability to communicate complex concepts and processes in simple language
- Demonstrated cross-functional leadership skills and ability to influence individuals significantly senior to self
- Experience interacting independently with executive management on strategic, tactical and confidential issues that have both immediate and long term business impacts
- Global mind-set
- MBA from top Global or US program
- Management consulting or similar background
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- International or global work experience
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Solid business judgment capable of driving a diverse organization to the right results with a focused, pragmatic approach
- Builds strong cross-functional relationships with extended ATO partners and geographically dispersed team members to enable higher performance
- Demonstrated “executive presence” and ability to represent ATO and AbbVie in a professional manner with senior executives and external partners
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment, adaptable to last-minute changes in requirements or priorities
- Ability to get results through collaboration and coordination with multiple stakeholders, both internal and external
- Advanced analytical and process diagnostic skills and the ability to get into the details, while also understanding and driving the full team to achieve results in line with the “big picture” objectives
- Learns fast, grasps the 'essence' and can change course quickly
- Ability to make solid decisions with minimal information
- Conflict resolution capabilities, particularly in finding common ground for win/win solutions in a matrixed environment
- Strong interpersonal skills — including written and oral communication skills
- Ability to deliver feedback, recognizing strong performance, and also recognizing when corrective action would benefit individual and group performance.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines while managing multiple projects
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.