Senior Account Executive (Evergreen)
The Senior Account Executive position requires all the essential job functions and qualifications of the Account Executive position. The Senior Account Executive must consistency demonstrate leadership amongst the Managed Markets Department and cross-functionally. Furthermore, Senior Account Executives must have market expertise, strong contract negotiation skills, a high level of performance as it relates to moving the business forward, and must consistently demonstrate a positive attitude and commitment to our organizational goals and C.A.R.E. Values. Senior Account Executives must consistently demonstrate high-level of ownership and accountability.
Essential Job Functions:
- Creates, delineates, and executes strategy cross functionally.
- Orientates with processes and works toward improvement.
- Consistent alignment with organization structure and objectives.
- Multi-disciplinary leadership across all functions of the organization.
- Assists and effectively coaches peers in the department as well as cross functionally.
- Executes broad scale education which helps to upskill the organization.
- Continually stays abreast of industry trends, emerging markets, and synthesizes to help team become more effective.
- Leads the team in business reviews and business case narratives.
- Leads the team in analytics storytelling and strategic planning for improved gross to net strategies.
- Leader in Account Management which specifically demonstrates a balanced approach to business relationships.
- Shows great balance in negotiations where challenges could lead to win/lose results by positioning Avanir in the best case.
- Is Out-front and a demonstrative leader in all regards both business and organizationally in work ethic, integrity and maturity.
- Develop and implement formulary access strategies to gain preferred and profitable formulary positioning with key regional accounts consistent with brand and contract strategy.
- Develop and implement contract strategies, including negotiating and closing contract agreements, designed to maximize Avanir’s position in terms of reimbursement and promote Avanir’s corporate objectives.
- Assist team in the coordination, creation, and implementation of strategic pull through plans for regional affiliates of national accounts located within assigned geography.
- Advise and consult with other members of the Managed Markets and Field Sales teams in developing pre-launch and launch related activities to maximize Avanir’s market potential within the assigned region.
- Understands current data and anticipates future trends as well as share this knowledge with account and Avanir colleagues in ways to benefit each contact’s business.
- Able to independently conduct data analysis including, but not limited to market share assessment, identification of product/competitive product trends, preliminary contract deal parameters like break-even, geographic-based trends, customer’s financials.
- Creates and manages strategic business plans for each assigned account that reflects strong account knowledge and produces results such as enhanced access.
- Designs and implements strategic account management planning for each customer meeting that reflects customers’ and Avanir’s interests and goals. Involves appropriate people resources in these meetings.
- Utilizes resources (marketing tools, field medical, corporate) to build advocacy within accounts that result in enhanced access and/or sales. Provides clear expectations, direction, and feedback for people resources involved with accounts.
- Engages the customer in discussions, projects, results that are beneficial to Avanir and the account’s objectives. Develops multiple advocates in accounts that forward Avanir’s objectives.
- Manages budgets within guidelines.
- Develops strategic relationships in multiple departments and at all levels with accounts and Avanir to identify and seize mutually beneficial business opportunities.
- Attends industry related meetings to enhance Avanir’s awareness of its products and services and build industry-wide awareness and advocacy.
- Participates in training objectives for Managed Markets, Field Sales, Medical Affairs, and Corporate teams to ensure the highest level of managed care and account skill selling.
- Provides on-going information to Marketing team to ensure appropriate materials are produced to maximize pull-through efforts.
- Coordinates efforts with Medical Affairs Department to present essential product and disease information to key influencers within assigned accounts.
- Actively engages in ongoing self-development and impacts others’ development.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s in Business Management, Life Sciences, or related field.
- Advanced degree preferred
- 8+ years related work experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry required.
- Minimum of 4 years in Managed Care or Account management
- 2+ years in management role
- Multi-Disciplinary experience in corporate-office roles. (For Example: Training, Sales Operations, Marketing preferred.)
- Effectively leads without authority and is title neutral.
- Minimum of two years leading and negotiating contract agreements.
- Successfully negotiated an improved contract agreement where the organization was in a more advantageous position following.
- Broad-based managed care experience covering multi-state territories.
- Developed a strategic organizational project positively impacting Avanir.
- Above average communication style and demonstrative strategic thinker and problem solver.
- Broad-based managed care experience covering a multi-state territory.
- Must have experience negotiating agreements.
- Experience with a CNS/Psychiatry related product(s) is preferred.
- Field Sales, including management, experience preferred.
- Regional/National account or PBM experience preferred.
- Experience in corporate-office roles (i.e. Training, Sales Operations, Marketing) preferred.
- Demonstrates autonomy in decision making.
- Able to communicate accurate product and disease state information and is viewed as an expert by colleagues and customers in CNS and related categories.
- Demonstrates extensive understanding of payer marketplace and customer business, i.e. managed care industry, benefit design, segment knowledge, and state/ federal policies that impact any of the above-mentioned areas.
- Demonstrated leadership and excellence in: breadth of contacts in account; formulating strategies to address future competitive/industry developments;
- Demonstrates the ability to cultivate relationships with those accounts or individuals that are anticipated to become future key contacts; serves as a trusted advisor and true business partner, develops solutions that grow business – driving impact beyond one’s sphere of influence.
- Proactively identifies obstacles that are not obvious to others and works to overcome them.
- Proficiency with MS Office (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc.)
This position primarily works in an office environment. It requires the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and frequent walking. Daily use of a computer, phone, office equipment and other computing and digital devices is required. May be required to stand for extended periods when facilitating meetings or walking in the facilities. Some local travel may be necessary, so the ability to travel by plane, operate a motor vehicle and maintain a valid Driver’s license and/or effectively navigate public transportation is required. While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee must be able to read and respond to interoffice communications as well as effectively participate in meetings. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to lift up to 20 lbs., pull, push, carry, handle or feel. The employee is required to carry, handle items, reach with arms and hands, to stoop, kneel, or crouch; talk or hear. Mental demands may require prolonged concentration, reading comprehension, understanding and interpretation of concepts, ideas and philosophies. The physical demands of the position described herein are essential functions of the job and employees must be able to successfully perform these tasks for extended periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made for those individuals with real or perceived disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job described unless such accommodations would cause Avanir an undue burden.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job unless such accommodations would cause Avanir an undue burden. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving carts, mechanical equipment (copiers, computers, coffee machines) and vehicles. May be subject to smells and odors. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The passage of employees through the work area is average and normal.
As an equal opportunity employer, Avanir Pharmaceuticals is committed to providing all applicants and employees with equal access to employment opportunities, regardless of sex, race, age, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, pregnancy, religion, genetic information, sexual orientation transgender status, gender identity, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. All Avanir Pharmaceuticals employees, officers, principles, agents, and representatives are expressly prohibited from engaging in unlawful discrimination. Consistent with federal, state, and local requirements, Avanir Pharmaceuticals will reasonably accommodate any qualified individual with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to perform the essential functions or the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
Avanir Pharmaceuticals shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR-60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of protected veteran status or disability, and require affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.