Principal Research Scientist I/II, Transcriptional Profiling
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie’s Foundational Neuroscience Center (FNC) in Cambridge, Massachusetts aims to discover breakthrough treatments for Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and other neurodegenerative diseases, by conducting in-depth research into fundamental pathological mechanisms, and targeting those mechanisms with world-leading small molecule and biologic drug discovery capabilities. Our goal is to produce novel drug candidates that modulate proteostatic mechanisms, protein aggregation, and microglial biology in neurodegenerative diseases by targeting mechanisms that emerge from novel in house-research including single cell transcriptional profiling and other insights. We seek an experienced scientist to conduct and lead our transcriptional profiling research efforts. The successful candidate will bring a deep understanding of cutting-edge molecular biology, and a strong record of innovative methods development and project advancement in drug discovery research, in a multidisciplinary environment. This is a “hands on” position with both bench research and strategic / tactical leadership responsibilities.
- Lead our transcriptional profiling lab, which makes crucial contributions to our target identification and validation research, specifically in the role of neuroinflammation in neurodegenerative diseases.
- Lead and contribute to drug discovery project advancement to produce clinical candidates of outstanding promise.
- Contribute to technical and scientific advancements in the field, and keep colleagues informed of relevant developments.
- Conduct and oversee the design, execution, and interpretation of bench research.
- Collaborate with colleagues at various AbbVie and collaborator sites to identify and optimize drug targets and leads.
- PhD or equivalent in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Neuroscience, or related field, with 6 or more years of experience including industrial drug discovery.
- Significant accomplishments in neurodegenerative disease research and drug discovery, with a strong record of publications and patents.
- Expertise in proteostasis and neuroinflammation biology, especially in Alzheimer’s and/or Parkinson’s disease research preferred.
- Expertise in relevant technologies, including semiautomated RNA/DNA isolation (KingFisher Flex), nucleic acid QC (TapeStation and Bioanalyzer), high throughput qPCR / digital PCR (Biomark HD), and the preparation and sequencing of RNAseq libraries (bulk, single cell/single nuclei, CITE-Seq, targeted sequencing) using the Bravo workstation and NextSeq2000 platform. Interest in advancing such technologies for proprietary use and/or publication.
- Analysis of raw qPCR data (Genex software) to create reports for project teams.
- Experience in working in multidisciplinary teams, and in external collaboration.
- Supervisory experience.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.