Corporate Counsel, Contracts
Exelixis is seeking a Corporate Counsel to join the Legal Department’s contracting team, reporting to the Senior Vice President, Corporate Legal Affairs & Secretary. You will be an integral member of the Legal Department and will have the opportunity to operate independently in a dynamic environment to support the growing contracting needs of Exelixis. You will work collaboratively with various teams across the organization, including Finance/Accounting, Investor Relations/Public Affairs, Human Resources, Real Estate, Facilities, IT, Compliance and others, as well as with external counsel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Draft, negotiate, and manage a wide range of contracts, including confidentiality agreements, service agreements, consulting agreements, task orders and amendments thereto.
• Advise and troubleshoot on existing agreements.
• Identify risks and be able to communicate those risks to appropriate internal decision-makers for discussion and resolution.
• Liaise with various internal clients effectively to address legal and business questions.
• Ensure contracts accurately convey business terms while protecting Exelixis’ interests.
• Advise contracts managers on complex negotiations.
• Act as point of contact for contract administration matters, including management of people, systems and processes supporting the contracting organization.
• Ensure continuity and improvement in the quality, efficiency, and effectiveness of contracting systems, processes and procedures.
• Supervisory responsibility of Contract Administrators supporting Exelixis’ contracting organization.
• BS/BA degree, preferably in life sciences or a related field.
• JD degree required and must be admitted to practice, preferably in California.
• Five to seven years of transactional experience as an attorney in a law firm or in-house legal environment.
• Possesses executive presence and ability to interact comfortably with executives and senior management, clear and concise verbal and written communication skills, and must have excellent interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to implement organizational or team objectives.
• Ability to develop creative technical and/or business solutions for complex problems and implement organizational or team objectives.
• Must be efficient, detail-oriented and have strong organizational skills.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and with the ability to re-prioritize on short time frames.
• Acts responsibly and conscientiously.
• Works under pressure to meet specific deadlines.
• Works independently and in a team environment.
• Dedicated to quality, reliability, and highest professional standards in all work tasks.
• Must be a self-starter and quick learner.
• Must have good judgment.
• Requires strong computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Document Comparison programs, etc.) and Internet).
• Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
• Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation of criteria for obtaining results.
• Uses professional concepts and company policies and procedures to solve a wide range of difficult problems in imaginative and practical ways.
• Networks with key contacts outside own area of expertise.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.