Senior Lab Manager
Reporting to the VP Early Development & Program Management, the Senior Lab Manager will be responsible for R&D laboratory operations including management of contracted staff, implementation of laboratory procedures and best practices that are consistent with BSL2 standards, materials management, laboratory inventories, onboarding/training of new employees, oversight of electronic notebooks and vendor management. This role also encompasses facility master planning and EH&S management.
Role & Responsibilities
- Plays a key role in planning for lab expansion and facility build-out.
- Supervises contracted laboratory operations staff, including staffing requirements and training.
- Collaborates with scientific staff to establish laboratory work practices and procedures.
- Develop SOP’s that include processes and policies for inventory and cost control.
- Ensures maintenance of laboratory equipment performance by developing operations and troubleshooting procedures, and staff training; arranges for equipment service and repairs.
- Oversees the management of laboratory supply inventory.
- Maintains equipment and instrument use logs and service records.
- Contacts and schedules vendors to perform calibrations and/or qualifications of equipment and instruments and any repairs throughout the facility.
- Sets up and manages system for liquid nitrogen cell storage.
- Manages chemical inventory and Safety Data Sheets.
- Schedules waste pick-up.
- Implements EH&S policies to ensure laboratory safety and compliance.
- Troubleshoots and resolves any problems within day-to-day lab operations.
- Manages vendor relations: ensures the engagement of all vendors are aligned to Artiva’s purchasing and contract policies.
- Documents information and organization of records per company’s quality system.
Experience, Education and Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Must thrive working in a fast-paced innovative environment while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders, conflict management and negotiation skills, ability to analyze complex issues to develop relevant and realistic plans and recommendations are prerequisites for this role. Excellent communication skills and ability to orchestrate plans to resolve issues and mitigate risks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biology or related field.
- 8+ years’ experience within the Research & Development function – start-up preferred.
- People management skills are required.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Prior experience in development and implementation of BSL2 standards and procedures.
- In depth knowledge of laboratory equipment and laboratory operations.
- Strong leadership skills to ensure compliance with programs and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain clear and accurate documentation and records.
- Experience managing rapidly expanding lab/facility operations.
- Decision Making Risk Management
- Time Management Business Planning
- Strategic thinker Implementing Plans
- Vendor Management Analysis & Reporting
- Leadership & Team Development
- Honesty/Integrity Communications
- Self-starter Forward thinking
- Creative/imaginative Confident
- Self-controlled Intuitive
- Positive Committed
- Ambitious/driven Agile
- Collaborative Transparent
We look for talented, entrepreneurial people who share our values.
We are called to put the safety of our patients and employees first, and to act with integrity and the highest ethical standards. To achieve our mission, we must collaborate across the Company at all levels, and we must hold ourselves and our teams accountable for delivering the progress we commit to, on the timelines we set. We embrace diversity, we include people and their ideas, and we aspire to excellence by listening, understanding, sharing, and responding. We want you to be fully engaged, to develop personally and professionally through this chapter in your life, and to have fun along the way.
Artiva Biotherapeutics is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing a work environment free of harassment and discrimination based upon a protected category, as well as an environment free from retaliation for protected activity.
- The opportunity to work with a team of highly experienced professionals from clinical to regulatory to CMC to research
- To be part of building a company on the cutting edge of cell therapy that may be a game changer to patients in a culture that is entrepreneurial, highly collaborative, and innovative
- Competitive compensation, including bonus
- Equity program
- Health and welfare benefits – Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, 401K, EAP