Senior Scientist I (Biotherapeutics)
As a member of the biotherapeutics group, the incumbent will play a key role in supporting the group’s discovery and preclinical development efforts by possessing extensive knowledge and experience in all aspects of protein/antibody discovery, production, characterization and prioritization. The incumbent will interact extensively with other group members as well as with external CROs/collaborators to meet all project goals/needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide protein/antibody production and characterization support in the discovery and preclinical development of biotherapeutic candidates.
• Provide scientific and technical guidance in the evaluation, selection and management of CROs needed to support ongoing protein production/characterization needs.
• Provide support in evaluating biologics research platforms and preclinical licensing candidates as needed.
• Interact and collaborate with internal departments (pharmacokinetics, toxicology, translational medicine, pharmaceutical development) and external colleagues to discuss and resolve project needs and issues in research and early development of biotherapeutics.
• Assist in evaluating new technologies and platforms to stay at the cutting edge of biologics discovery, production and characterization.
• Play a key role in assessing protein structure/function as applied toward the evaluation of biologics for developability and large-scale manufacturing.
• Comply with company health and safety policies and general laboratory practices.
• Participate in departmental activities such as research meetings, budget planning, administrative management and employee performance development and planning if position oversees internal employees.
• Directly supervise employee(s).
• Ph.D. in related scientific discipline such as molecular biology, biochemistry, biology or microbiology and four to six years of experience in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry post Ph.D.
• MS/MA in related scientific discipline such as molecular biology, biochemistry, biology or microbiology and ten years of experience and/or training in biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry.
• Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience in protein and antibody structure/function, production, characterization, optimization and selection.
• Experience with lead generation platforms, screening cascades and assays for candidate prioritization.
• Extensive hands on laboratory experience in all aspects of protein/antibody expression, purification, and characterization to support the preclinical discovery and development efforts of the biotherapeutics group.
• Practical experience in antibody engineering, antibody expression, and immunological assessment.
• Extensive experience in the biophysical characterization of proteins/antibodies including but not limited to binding (SPR and BLI), epitope identification/specificity, post-translational modifications, and protein/antibody stability.
• Experience with state-of-the art technologies to support ongoing protein/antibody production and characterization needs.
• Experience in identifying, selecting and managing external CROs/collaborators.
• Experience writing intellectual property filings, reports and non-clinical IND sections a plus.
• Extensive knowledge in all aspects of protein/antibody structure, function, and biophysical characterization.
• Knowledge of state-of-the art technologies in biologics discovery, production and engineering.
• Familiarity with various antibody formats/scaffolds including, but not limited to fusion proteins, bi-specifics antibodies, single-domain antibodies (VHH), bi-paratopic antibodies, and ADCs.
• Familiarity with general components of biologics formulation and CMC a plus.
• The knowledge to set goals with an understanding of priority and impact to program, department and organization.
• Works on extremely complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangible variables.
• Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
• Uses professional concepts to contribute to development of company concepts and principles and to achieve objectives in creative and effective ways.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.