Scientist III, Cell-Culture Process Development (CCPD)
Title: Scientist III, Cell Culture Process Development (CCPD)
Manager: Associate Director, Cell Culture Process Development
Department: Technical Operations
Location: Brisbane, CA
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. At Sangamo, we are passionate in developing genomic medicines to transform the lives of patients with serious diseases. We transform lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our team. Let’s build a better future together.
Sangamo is seeking a highly motivated scientist to join our CCPD team. The Scientist III position is responsible for leading upstream process development/optimization of AAV vector production to advance our R&D programs from pre-clinical to IND filing and ultimately to BLA filing and commercial launch. He/She will also be responsible for leading upstream technology transfer activities to CMO as well as to Sangamo’s internal manufacturing organization and providing manufacturing support as needed. This person will also support the production of AAV vectors within the Process Development group.
- Design and execute process development studies to establish scalable, high-yield, stage-appropriate cell culture processes for Sangamo’s AAV therapeutic candidates
- Culture suspension cells for AAV production in shake flasks, wave bioreactors, stir tank bioreactors and Ambr15
- Perform essential analytical assays to support process development, e.g. vg titer.
- Maintain lab notebooks, analyze and present data at project meetings, author SOPs and development reports
- Serve as upstream SME in technology transfer teams, author and review transfer documents, provide person-in-plant support as needed
- Provide technical support to external and internal cGMP manufacturing
- Author relevant sections in the regulatory filing dossier
- Evaluate new technologies for next generation AAV process
- Analyze and interpret experimental results; suggest changes and additional experiments to improve and robustness and/or reproducibility of the manufacturing process
- Collaborate with downstream colleague to deliver research grade materials per project timelines
- May supervise junior lab staff and/or contractors
- Ensure work conforms to applicable quality and safety standards.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- PhD degree in chemical engineering, virology, molecular biology, biochemistry or related field with 5+ years of relevant experiences. MS or BS degrees with 8+ years of industry experience are also encouraged to apply. Level will be determined by experience, educations and skills.
- In-depth knowledge of cell biology, cell metabolism, molecular biology, and protein chemistry
- Highly skilled in lab-scale cell culture techniques, bench top bioreactor operation is a must.
- Experience in Ambr 15 or Ambr 250 and scale-up of cell culture process from benchtop bioreactors to larger scale bioreactors is preferred
- General cell and molecular biology techniques, such as isolating DNA/RNA, qPCR, in vitro assays, Flow cytometry, transfection, transduction, etc.
- Able to apply scientific rigor in solving complex problems
- Capable of applying statistical principles to study design and data analysis
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be a team player
- Direct experience with recombinant viral vectors such as AAV will be a plus
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.