Head of Gene Therapy (Senior Director / VP)
Manager: Chief Scientific Officer
Location: Richmond, CA
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge science across distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome engineering. At Sangamo, we are passionate about developing genomic medicines to transform the lives of patients with serious diseases. Sangamo has a sustained track-record of innovation, being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with AAV-delivered in vivo genome editing. We are focused on and passionate about continuing to innovate and lead in the field of genomic medicines. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise. We are seeking top talent to join our team.
In addition to our trailblazing work in the field of genome engineering, Sangamo has been an innovator in the field of AAV delivery for more than a decade. Our Hemophilia A SB-525 clinical candidate being co-developed with Pfizer has advanced to a registrational Phase III clinical and is an exemplar of our commitment and expertise in this area. Our AAV directed-evolution platform and proprietary ZFP-TF platform have driven recent high-profile CNS-focused partnerships with Biogen and Novartis in the fields of neurodegenerative and neurodevelopmental disorders.
As part of our growing commitment to in vivo genome engineering, Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking an experienced leader in the field of gene therapy. This leader will be responsible for defining and executing our gene therapy/in vivo genome editing strategy and leading research teams to develop novel therapeutics. They will be responsible for collaborating closely with cross-functional groups to guide the transition of therapeutic candidates into clinical development and engage with internal and external stakeholders to advance Sangamo’s genomic medicines platform.
The leader will manage scientific leaders focused on development of in vivo genome engineering therapies and our AAV engineering efforts. Sangamo’s gene therapy/in vivo genome engineering group is dynamic and innovative and an excellent example of Sangamo’s culture of rigor, creativity, and collaboration. The Head of Gene Therapy will be expected to manage the career development and performance of the existing team and recruit top talent while maintaining this culture of excellence. The position will report directly to the Head of Research. The Head of Gene Therapy will serve on the Research Leadership Team and play a critical role in aligning efforts for in vivo genome engineering with our technology and therapeutic research.
This is an exciting opportunity to work at the cutting edge of genomic medicines and delivery sciences and be part of an outstanding team dedicated to developing genomic and cell-based therapeutics that will transform the lives of patients around the globe.
- Continuously innovate and execute on our gene therapy/in vivo genome editing strategy
- Lead internal gene therapy/in vivo genome engineering teams and AAV engineering, teams
- Deliver clinical candidates levering our in vivo engineering platform to the Development organization.
- Identify and evaluate new delivery technology opportunities, both viral and non-viral, in collaboration with the Business Development and Research teams
- Provide technical leadership and guidance, data review, project timelines & budget and people management
- Apply a strategic framework to prioritize resource allocation and make effective “go/no-go” decisions
- Proactively engage with Process Development, Regulatory and Nonclinical Development to support the advancement of therapeutic candidates
- Manage the career development and performance of research teams. Hire top talent and integrate new team members into a productive and innovative team environment
- Oversee competitive intelligence in relevant areas by forging relationships with external experts, attending scientific conferences and staying apprised of emerging scientific literature
- Represent Sangamo Therapeutics to the external scientific community in presentations, publications, and other mediums
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- PhD in molecular biology, virology, or a related scientific discipline
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical industry and a minimum 5 years of technical leadership/management. Title commensurate with level of experience.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage high performing teams
- Expertise in viral vector biology and therapeutic vector delivery
- Experience with genome engineering and viral and/or nonviral delivery
- A track record of taking a viral vector-based therapies into clinical development
- A track record of publications in top tier journals and asset creation in delivery methods
- Experience with animal study design and execution in mouse and NHP models of systemic gene delivery
- Well versed in approaches to viral and non-viral therapies across multiple indications
- Collegial, dedicated, hard-working, and dependable
- Experience with genome engineering and promoter/expression cassette engineering is preferred
- Ability to thrive and innovate in a fast-paced and complex biotech environment
- Ability to lead, mentor and develop scientific talent at all levels
- Excellent communication and decision-making skills
- Skilled in managing business relationships with internal and external partners
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.