Senior Director, Research Operations
Manager: SVP, Chief Scientific Officer
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. At Sangamo, we are passionate about developing genomic medicines to transform the lives of patients with serious diseases. We transform lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our team. Let’s build a better future together.
Reporting to and collaborating with the Chief Scientific Officer, this role will play a pivotal role in driving the successful implementation of Sangamo’s Research strategy. They will collaborate with the research organization and beyond to build processes that support the efficient and effective operations of the Research department and ensure tight alignment with the wider Sangamo organization and strategy.
Own delivery of the Research strategy and priorities:
- Own deployment and operationalization of Sangamo’s Research strategy
- Partner with Research leadership team, Project & Portfolio Management and CEO Chief of Staff to develop and track Research road maps and objectives
- Work closely with teams to integrate and deliver priorities within agreed upon timelines
- Identify and prioritize resources to ensure deliverables are met
- Work closely with Tech Ops, Legal, Finance, Procurement, HR, IT, Communication and BD to ensure Research plans and strategies are integrated across Sangamo
- Drive to results as quickly as possible by helping teams navigate the Research organization and creatively overcome barriers, they may encounter
Drive Day-to-Day Activities:
- Partner with CSO to develop and enact an effective governance and operations plan for the Research organization.
- Coordinate and manage Research Leadership Team and Research Staff meetings to drive effective & efficient decision making - including establishing meeting agendas, managing meetings, capturing meeting minutes/action items and ensuring follow up.
- Oversee budgetary planning, tracking and cost management
- Partner with CSO on special projects in support of Research initiatives
- Coordinate assessment and reporting on Research investment or projects
- Integrate ideas, provide innovative solutions, and develop best practices to ensure optimal support of the business
- Work with scientists to organize scientific advisory boards
- Identify development initiatives to optimize staff skills and to develop future leaders
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum of a BA or BS in a scientific field; MBA or equivalent a plus
- 10+ years of business experience with at least 8 years of life science or related experience
- Early stage drug development experience required.
- Strong senior stakeholder engagement and collaboration skills
- Strong influencing skills, with the ability to engage with all levels of the organization to achieve collective goals
- Experience in operationalizing a strategy and putting in place activities that drive results
- Excellent communication, writing and relationship-building skills, with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Intellectual curiosity, integrity and ability to succeed in an entrepreneurial environment essential
- Proven ability to create, implement and improve processes
- Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement
- Strong project management and execution skills; able to manage competing priorities
- Detail oriented and highly organized
- Flexibility to work in a fast-paced environment and handle changing priorities
- Reputation for integrity and dedicated work ethic with desire for ownership of process and product success
- Technology savvy
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.