Senior Director, Business Development
Manager: Senior Vice President and Head of Business Development
Department: Business Development
Location: Brisbane, CA
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. At Sangamo, we are passionate in developing genomic medicines to transform the lives of patients with serious diseases. We transform lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
The Senior Director, Business Development will serve as a key member of the Business Development team, working closely with cross functional partners to progress initiatives that support our corporate objectives. These initiatives include in-licensing, out-licensing, and corporate strategy initiatives.
The successful candidate will play an important role in the exploration and expansion of new business development opportunities across a broad range of therapeutic areas and technology platforms including partnering of existing programs, R&D collaborations, and enabling technology collaborations. S/he will lead sourcing, evaluation and contracting activities for a number of strategic partnerships across biopharma, contract organizations, and academia.
- Work closely with business development colleagues and broader cross-functional project team to build enterprise value through the execution of strategic alliances and licensing transactions
- Establish strong working relationships with cross-functional stakeholders from research, technology, program management, manufacturing, clinical, commercial, legal and finance
- Develop and maintain solid internal and external relationships to drive effective management of business development campaigns, including in-licensing and out-licensing processes, due diligence and contracting
- Lead business development workstreams, including technical/scientific assessments, analysis of the competitive landscape, and financial modelling, assuming ownership and accountability for operational execution
- Manage term sheet and contracting discussions for in-licensing transactions across technology, manufacturing, delivery, and other prioritized areas
- Stay abreast of new developments in key therapeutic areas; synthesize and share findings and recommendations with business development team
- Analyse internal business development processes and make recommendations for process improvement to drive efficiencies and improve deal execution and management
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- BA/BS in science field required
- Minimum of 10 years of biopharma industry experience and 5 years in business development, including lead roles in deal execution
- Proven track record at sourcing, structuring, negotiating and closing different types of partnerships from discovery stage assets through development stage
- Refined communication and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated history working effectively with international and cross-functional teams
- Strong project and time management skills ensuring effective and efficient decision making and issue resolution
- Ability to multitask, perform under pressure, and deliver high-quality work in a fast faced environment to meet challenging deadlines and ambitious goals
- Advanced financial modelling skills and slide development expertise
- Strategic thinker with good quantitative analytical abilities and ability to understand and translate complex scientific concepts into core business objectives
- Knowledge of biopharma product development and commercialization experience; cell & gene therapy focus is a plus
- Brings strong integrity, intelligence and energy to the company and the role
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.